• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So did I detect someone saying that Southwest doesn't have autothrottles? I jumpseated on a -300 and the pilots set all the power settings by hand, but I thought the throttles had the words A/T Disconnect next to a button stamped on them.

Widow's Son said:
SWA pioneered the concept and requested round depictions when they ordered the NG's. There was initial resistence, but now there have been some studies that show that analog depictions (round dial with a needle) are much more intuitive than tapes. The eye, especially peripherally, can quickly detect a needle out of its normal position much easier and more quickly than decipher an indication on a tape.

Maybe for an engine gauge. Not for airspeed and altitude. We aren't gonna see round dials on the 787, for example, and there's a reason why.

I'm not a SWA pilot but I know many and have ridden up front many times. yes they have autothrottles but they are disconnected. So they can't use them and the power must be set manual. Also the v-nav button is blanked out so they can't use it either, but the box still can be programed to give them a v-nav descent/crossing restrictions but it has to be flown with vertical speed and manual power adjustments.

milehigh6080 said:
And because it's a lot more fun to drive a stick. I don't have much glass experience, but I enjoy flying round guages and don't really look forward to moving on to a plane with glass.

Wait, if you ever get into a glass enviorment, you will never want to go back to round dial.

By glass I mean the full thing, not the half and half like some older 73's or most 75's

dojetdriver said:
Wait, if you ever get into a glass enviorment, you will never want to go back to round dial.

By glass I mean the full thing, not the half and half like some older 73's or most 75's

It's called "half-a&&ed" glass

I think SWA was paying market price for fuel, they'd have the VNAV going w/ autothrottles.....More efficient.

dojetdriver said:

It might be easier, but can't be more fun. Tricycle gear planes are easier than taildraggers, but I'd take a Super Cub or Pitts any day. I know glass allows you to fly more precisely, efficently, yadda yadda. Professional flying isn't about the pilots having fun, but if I was picking the plane, I'd take a Taildragger converted 727.

F/O said:
Maybe for an engine gauge. Not for airspeed and altitude. We aren't gonna see round dials on the 787, for example, and there's a reason why.

And that reason is what? 25 hours on a layover and I'm in suspense. ;) My guess isn't HF engineering, but personal preference. If someone does have any HF studies do you have a link?

Having flown KC-135Rs (old school round dials), an all glass T-1 (a version of a BeechJet 400), glass C-17s, and 737-300, 500 and 700s, here's my .02: I hated the tapes in the C-17 for both airspeed and altitude.

The only saving grace for the C-17 tapes is the fact it had a HUD on both sides...although a C-17 HUD pales in comparisons to the ones the Capt has at SWA. The SWA version is about three times as wide.

Tapes or round dials...It may be what you get use to or personal preference, but for me it is much easier read a round gauge than a tape. Maybe it's because it's what I learned first or have the most experience with. My preference is a glass dial for engine instruments, airspeed, and altitude. Leave the tapes for the seamstress.

Of all the planes I've flown, I think the T-1 had the best overall display and the easiest crosscheck of all...No HUD, no tapes, just a well-designed display and a fun jet to fly.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Last edited:
dojetdriver said:

I have flown both, and I can tell you I really don't care. I did find that most of the guys I flew with that never had much round dial experience, ie:J32, and were hired into the CRJ as FO's, were usually Glass Cripples. If you have gotten this far and you NEED glass tapes to fly, you really aren't that great of a pilot to begin with.

COpilot said:
So whats up with no A/T, or VNAV, is this a standardization thing also?

Fighter pilots don't need them. It wastes time because it is just another layer standing between the pilot and the flying.

Latest resources

Back