Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

citabriapilot

V Murdda...
Noticed on airliners.net that most of the 737NGs at other operators have a typical PFD with tape gauges, while the photos I saw from Southwest had a "six-pack" style setup with all the typical instruments, just in the six pack design and no tapes.

Is that how Southwest wants it, or is it just a preference that the flight crews can change back and forth? Or a difference in the avionics?

Just curious

Carriers opeating as a mixed fleet (Classic + NG) do this almost universally. CAL has the same configuration. Keeps the scan the same when you jump between generations on a daily basis. Flight crews can't change it. A pity, really. Operators like Air Berlin use the full functionality, and it's beautiful.

SWA pioneered the concept and requested round depictions when they ordered the NG's. There was initial resistence, but now there have been some studies that show that analog depictions (round dial with a needle) are much more intuitive than tapes. The eye, especially peripherally, can quickly detect a needle out of its normal position much easier and more quickly than decipher an indication on a tape.

Cardinal said:
Operators like Air Berlin use the full functionality, and it's beautiful.

Yah, und der AirTran makes mit all of der functionality, too . . . . including der go-faster automatikly and der stoppen-quickly mit der fus on der floorboards, too.

So whats up with no A/T, or VNAV, is this a standardization thing also? Again why not use the technology that is aviable?

Just asking,

Widow's Son said:
SWA pioneered the concept and requested round depictions when they ordered the NG's. There was initial resistence, but now there have been some studies that show that analog depictions (round dial with a needle) are much more intuitive than tapes. The eye, especially peripherally, can quickly detect a needle out of its normal position much easier and more quickly than decipher an indication on a tape.

I call bullsh1t on this one. Source?

COpilot said:
So whats up with no A/T, or VNAV, is this a standardization thing also? Again why not use the technology that is aviable?

Just asking,

I think it's called "Being a Luddite"

USAFftrplt said:
same reason that folks still buy Stick Shift cars..saves costs..not needed to get the job done

And because it's a lot more fun to drive a stick. I don't have much glass experience, but I enjoy flying round guages and don't really look forward to moving on to a plane with glass.

Latest resources

Back