Southwest Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
canyonblue said:
I have flown both, and I can tell you I really don't care. I did find that most of the guys I flew with that never had much round dial experience, ie:J32, and were hired into the CRJ as FO's, were usually Glass Cripples. If you have gotten this far and you NEED glass tapes to fly, you really aren't that great of a pilot to begin with.

When I was new hire at my last job, my sim parter was on the 32 for 4 years. He was just as much as a "glass cripple" as myself. Yes he was a good pilot, and all the other former 32 driver in class had the same complaints about trying to adapt to the glass.

The point of my comment wasn't about who's the better pilot or who has the bigger peni$. On your 6th, 7th, or 8th leg of the day, which would you rather be flying? The airplane where you have to look a 6 round dials or one 6 X 8 screen for all pertinent infomation. Sorry, I'm an airline pilot which means I'm lazy and like things as simple as possible, especially if I have to spend 12-14 hours a day in an airplane.

Last edited:
Baronman said:
I think SWA was paying market price for fuel, they'd have the VNAV going w/ autothrottles.....More efficient.

The powers to be in Flt Ops have studied the A/T system in-depth and conluded that it will not work at SWA becuase the increased maintenance associated with the system will overide any cost savings gained from using them. They may re-evaluate this conclusion as we become a -700 dominated fleet ie. the soon to be used Autobrakes. However, don't assume we are cruising along fat, dumb, and happy since we have hedges. Every available aspect of flight ops is continuously under scrutiny for ways to save $.

Baronman said:
I think SWA was paying market price for fuel, they'd have the VNAV going w/ autothrottles.....More efficient.

Is there any data from Boeing or anyone else that states that V-NAV and autothrottles are more fuel efficient? Maybe that data could be posted here.

Tejas

This is true, but I was trying to keep it simple as most people do not know or have CWS. One could also use LVL Change as well.

seems like a waste of technology to display round gauges on an efis

It probably have to do with Cross Crew Qaulifications, although that normally refers to say 75-76 or 320-330, but in the case of SWA, I would imagine since they operate both the old and the NG, that the feds required it. Otherwise SWA might have been stuck with pilots flying a specific "fleet" ie NG, obviously that wouldn't work to well in the scheme of things.

All that stuff cost money and SWA is frugle to say the least! We usually buy it when it cost 10 cents on the dollar. SWA also has the opinion that they want us to stay sharp with our flying skills. Thats why years ago they went with the HUD (hand flown) for the Cat 3 approaches rather than go to a full up system. They are correct in there assumptions too. I used to work for Midway Airlines back in the mid 80's/early 90's. We had all the old steam powered airplanes! Then we got the MD-80's with all the bells and whistles. The company wanted us to fly it with the autopilot as much as possible. When the guys came through 6 months to a year later for there sim checks they could barely hand fly a 2 engine approach decently yet alone a single engine approach. Totally lost there flying skills! Midway then decided to go back to more hand flying and the problem was solved. We are creatures of habit and tend to get lazy if allowed to do so.

Of all the airplanes I've flown with an A/T, none have ever been deferred. No B737 A/P was ever deferred, but I've flown B757 and L10's with an A/P deferred and I've flown with a HUD deferred a couple of times. So, the cost/negative benefit analysis doesn't hold water with me. I could understand it with an older generation, but they work really well in the modern era. ;) The true cost savings is realized in T/O and climb power settings. The advantage is less workload and more situational awareness in an approach environment, i.e. you look outside more. The trouble with A/T is complacency. If you don't stay disciplined you could find yourself in trouble should get too far behind the power curve.

VNAV in the B737 is a POS. Works OK in a theoretical, non-ATC influenced environment. The manufacturer should be embarrassed.

Jim Smyth said:
Thats why years ago they went with the HUD (hand flown) for the Cat 3 approaches rather than go to a full up system.

Umm...I thought it was because SWA bought Morris and got the HUD whether they wanted it or not. At least that's what my ex-Morris friend told me. Southwest can do Cat III approaches because of Neelman's foresight as far as he's concerned.

Latest resources

Back