• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest "Captain" WTFO?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some pilots choose to stay as Lance Captains even when they are senior enough to upgrade. I know of at least one that made way more last year than the average Capt. It is a good deal for everyone except the senior Captains that lose out on the VJA (1.5 pay) all the lances pick up at extra fly/daily open time (straight pay).

I thought he was very well spoken, talked in simple terms and covered topics such as the need to study math...clearly someone's school project.

Who knows who put it on the web? Who cares?

It sounds like a credible, decent "stay in school, don't do drugs" narrative about a possible career choice, which puts emphasis on the positive aspects of flying for an airline.

Seems a shame that some are so offended by a grade school project.

Probably for "Adopt a Pilot?"
I think at the expense of looking like a goofball, we as parents make that sacrifice for the betterment of our children and their peers. My guess is that this dude puts more emphasis on being a mentor vs. being cool. I dont know this dude, but he's not exactly making another "topgun" video in a one-sh!tty.

Last edited:
The lance captain program works great, IMO. It allows the FO's that want to upgrade to leapfrog over the FO's that want to stay as a lance. The lance get's to cherry pick and the guy junior to him gets to be a captain - something he wouldn't have been had it not been for the lance.

Eleminating the lance program would simply mean more reserve lines. As it is the lances pick up from other line holders, which in turn gives them the flexibility to trade like Charles Schwab giving them a better quality of life.

The lance program is a win win.

Gup
It is at Southwest, can't argue about that.

I know you probably can't recall working for a company that will use involuntary extensions, junior assignments, and downline drafts EVERY MONTH as a STAFFING TOOL to keep from upgrading F/O's and, thus, having to hire more pilots.

Sometimes that's what happens here. THAT is why I don't want to see a Lance Captain program without upgrade trigger points and trasnparency.

Very few airlines will consistently choose to do the right thing for their employees, even if it costs more to do it. Southwest happens to be one of them.

Last edited:
I would say that based on how boring this dufus is, its "Bravodoosh," but we all know Bravodoosh is a FNG at SWA! Either way, what a tool!

TOOL!!!!
Is he talking to a 2 year old. I give my toddler more advanced sentences than he does trying to teach her not to use a diaper.
Fish

Latest resources

Back