• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest and their lack of pay raises and stock in their merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rookie nerd? AHAHAHAHAHA Yeah, I just started yesterday. Thanks. Your operation will have to change in ATL, no more short approaches, no more fast taxis, no more quick turns. Have fun, and see you there!

Godspeed!

The OYSter

You sound like a 5 yr old little brat! SWA will do just fine at ATL...it's really not that difficult of an airport. Delays, yes, but not ALL of the time. Time to grow up bud, and get over your SWA hatred.

18 from the bottom and my class is happy as can be to be here. Don't know who OYS is referring to about applying elsewhere. The 20-30 old AT friends I have flown with in the past are excited too (a little accuracy for OYS's smear campaign). Yes we each have a perfect merger in our mind but that is impossible. In 2-3 years I am buying them pitchers on overnights. Hopefully it will be Hawaii. Everyday the merger goes by we are more and more thankful for what AT brings to the table.....especially if you have to compete with Delta/American.

Paid dues to ALPA for 11 years OYS....no comment. Just took the kids on a hotel date night this month with the difference in union dues.

I'm guessing OYS is not familiar with ATL before RWY 28 and the victor loop was built. Those two strips of concrete have really helped. What he doesn't understand is that ATC accomadates airlines that demonstrate the ability to fly the aircraft efficiently (and yes safely). They keep you high on most downwinds accept 27L, so a short approach is at the marker, or slightly inside the marker for 27L. The taxi from 28 to 27L is over a mile, no traffic. Go as fast as you dare, it's like the autobahn. If the ramp is clear, your turn is dependent on your station crew. If it's jammed with RJs, you may lose some time. The ramp is the weakest link, but they do a good job and coordinate with your company ops. It's a big airport, the worlds busiest. In my opinion the controllers there are some of the worlds finest, and move alot of iron. I don't know what you fly OYS but it may be less maneuverable than a 737 or 717 in the air and on the ground. That may be why you think ATL is a challenging airport to fly in and out of.

I used to fly into ATL a bit at my previous job prior to them being built, so I sort of remember that. But, I do fly out of ATL a lot now and I see that we are still "managed" until we hit the ground, without a real lull in the traffic (it is the busiest airport in the World, you know.) As far as taxiing fast on the ground, if you do get behind an RJ or any other plane, it will slow you down. If they are using the loop at the West end of 9L (not really a loop, but a crossing point at the app end), things move a bit faster, but if they cross you at Dixie etc, you can get stuck on Lima for a bit. The ramps are tough, and ramp 3 and 4 for you guys can easily get clogged up, especially with the RJ Farm out there on both sides. Then Ground Control will tell you your sequence outbound, and that will slow your taxi too. It may look clear to go out to 8R, but then you have to go East on Foxtrot and follow 5 RJs and 5 MD88s. It's just not as easy as your typical airport, and that means 25-30 min turns probably won't work. Don't worry, your new brothers will find out soon enough. Fast taxiis will slow to crawls, especially near the ramps. If they want to fast taxi out from 28 to holding short of 27L, have at it Nascar fans! An MD88 will probably inhibit that anyway, but go for the pass and try to WIN ATL! Probably won't happen, AT never did.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

18 from the bottom and my class is happy as can be to be here. Don't know who OYS is referring to about applying elsewhere. The 20-30 old AT friends I have flown with in the past are excited too (a little accuracy for OYS's smear campaign). Yes we each have a perfect merger in our mind but that is impossible. In 2-3 years I am buying them pitchers on overnights. Hopefully it will be Hawaii. Everyday the merger goes by we are more and more thankful for what AT brings to the table.....especially if you have to compete with Delta/American.

Paid dues to ALPA for 11 years OYS....no comment. Just took the kids on a hotel date night this month with the difference in union dues.

Good for you. Be happy. Just know there will be some stagnation compared to the legacies and their huge retirement numbers coming up, and that could be a reason why some do eventually consider leaving. If you are happy though, that is great. Congrats!

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Just know there will be some stagnation compared to the legacies and their huge retirement numbers coming up, and that could be a reason why some do eventually consider leaving. If you are happy though, that is great. Congrats!

kernal OY6,

You are right, Southwest Pilots do not age. With that in mind, there will be thousands leaving Southwest for the other various STABLE Major Airlines out there!

:cartman:

OYS has every right to dislike SWA and be proud and excited about his prospects going forward at his airline...good luck OYS!

The nice thing about this forum, is how we all get along. It warms my heart.

We have to. Say anything bad about Delta , code share or how Fuby and alike feeding for Delta and you get a warning.

I am the only one that sticks up for the regional pilots.I hope I don't get black balled and never go to a Major :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back