Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest, AirTran Brothers and Sisters!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just trying to see why ALPA national would do anything but undermine this....

ALPA national has been nothing but incredibly supportive. ALPA has every reason to handle this merger right. It will be the example that is shown to all non-ALPA pilot groups that ALPA wants to organize. Don't worry about us. We'll be just fine.

Pcl 128

ALPA has every reason to handle this merger right. It will be the example that is shown to all non-ALPA pilot groups that ALPA wants to organize

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box. Can you explain what you mean by this statement?

Thanks

RWAV

ALPA national has been nothing but incredibly supportive. ALPA has every reason to handle this merger right. It will be the example that is shown to all non-ALPA pilot groups that ALPA wants to organize. Don't worry about us. We'll be just fine.

Not to the AT pilots, but ALPA can F-off. GK won't put up with thier shlit.

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box. Can you explain what you mean by this statement?

Thanks

RWAV

It's really simple. If ALPA were to treat the AirTran pilots poorly and not offer resources and support, then other pilot groups (such as the guys at JetBlue, currently in an ALPA organizing drive) would witness it and not be interested in ALPA representation. On the other hand, if ALPA's support throughout the process is unwavering, that will also be noticed, and pilots at non-ALPA carriers will see the benefit of ALPA representation.

ALPA has a clear self-interest in representing the AirTran pilots well during this merger. They have zero interest in causing problems or withholding support. Conspiracy theories in this vein are ridiculous.

Pcl_128

It's really simple. If ALPA were to treat the AirTran pilots poorly and not offer resources and support, then other pilot groups (such as the guys at JetBlue, currently in an ALPA organizing drive) would witness it and not be interested in ALPA representation.On the other hand, if ALPA's support throughout the process is unwavering, that will also be noticed, and pilots at non-ALPA carriers will see the benefit of ALPA representation.
Okay, but doesn't that kind of go without saying? I mean they've been giving ALPA 2.5% of their salaries for quite some time for that exact reason. Why would ALPA's representation of AirTranALpa be anything less than unwavering? I certainly wouldn't expect anything less from my union.

ALPA has a clear self-interest in representing the AirTran pilots well during this merger. They have zero interest in causing problems or withholding support. Conspiracy theories in this vein are ridiculous.
I don't see any conspiracy theories but the disconnect that I'm having is that ALPA's skin in the game will cease to exist once the two pilot lists become one, unless I am missing something here. I realize you are pointing to the intangibles (how alpa might appear to a potentially new customer) but unfortunately ALPA burned too many bridges with the regional pilots in the past and that memory has stayed with many of them who are now at the majors and have a much different outlook on ALPA than their contemporaries did. This is what is hurting your drive at JBLU and definitely at SWA.

Okay, but doesn't that kind of go without saying? I mean they've been giving ALPA 2.5% of their salaries for quite some time for that exact reason. Why would ALPA's representation of AirTranALpa be anything less than unwavering? I certainly wouldn't expect anything less from my union.

I agree, of course, but obviously there are people here at FI who think differently and like to spread crazy conspiracy theories of ALPA trying to screw people over (BTW, ALPA dues are 1.95%, not 2.5%).

I don't see any conspiracy theories but the disconnect that I'm having is that ALPA's skin in the game will cease to exist once the two pilot lists become one, unless I am missing something here. I realize you are pointing to the intangibles (how alpa might appear to a potentially new customer) but unfortunately ALPA burned too many bridges with the regional pilots in the past and that memory has stayed with many of them who are now at the majors and have a much different outlook on ALPA than their contemporaries did. This is what is hurting your drive at JBLU and definitely at SWA.

I disagree with your premise. ALPA hasn't burned bridges with pilots at the regionals. Also, our drive at JetBlue has been going very well. The JetBlue pilots have the largest organizing committee in ALPA history, and cards are coming in at a good clip. I suspect that there will be an election in the first half of the year, and ALPA will probably be certified by a decent margin. ALPA has also added AirTran, ATI, North American, Colgan, and several Canadian carriers in the past few years. There isn't any indication that ALPA has "burned bridges." We've even signed a services agreement with the APA at American in recent months, and ALPA will be providing professional negotiators and financial analysis support. Many pilots are realizing the benefits of a national union and the resources that come with it.

Not to the AT pilots, but ALPA can F-off. GK won't put up with thier shlit.

With oil screaming northwards, GK will have to start some serious sucking up to apla and the airtran guys or swa will shrink. Talk about some awesome leverage. Maybe the new found leverage will translate to even better than relative seniority for at?
Looks like the tables are turned and alpa is now in the drivers seat, ladies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back