Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airlines to Acquire AirTran; Spreading Low Fares Farther 6:55 am - PR Newsw

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I really don't see this being a big problem for Delta. Southwest does not have the edge they once did when it comes to competitive advantage. Their labor costs are now the highest in the industry and their fuel hedging advantage has been vastly diminished.

Yep, that's 3 years of my life I'll never get back, but they gave me a new-found appreciation for a LOT of things in life that are more important than this whole flying business (God, family), and a little faith in that the system DOES work, even when people game it and delay it as long as possible.

Just d@mned glad to be here! :D

So thanks all for the warm words, and let's get this thing DONE! :)

I really don't see this being a big problem for Delta. Southwest does not have the edge they once did when it comes to competitive advantage. Their labor costs are now the highest in the industry and their fuel hedging advantage has been vastly diminished.

Yet another one who confuses labor rates with labor cost.

Of course I disagree, RESPECTFULLY. Delta still has 70% of the gates at ATL. A merger between SWA and Airtran will now allow DL and USAir to ask for the slot swap at LGA and DCA thanks to Airtran already having slots at both airports. That will make Delta even larger at LGA, and allow USAir to become bigger at DCA too. SWA cannot get anymore gates at ATL, since Delta and Airtran already made deals with the city of Atlanta for another 7 years just recently. Delta has hubs in other cities that SWA has already been competing at, and has not "bothered" DL in the slightest, in fact SWA has pulled down flights at SLC. The terminal at MSP that SWA and Airtran use has very few more gates left to expand. I don't think I have to give anymore examples, because my NEW BEST FRIENDS at the NEW SWA are really cool and understand me already.

Hey, HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY, and keep fighting the GOOD fight. If you have time, do something nice for someone if you can, like opening the door for a granny. See ya!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Take a good look at this. This is what denial looks like.

Reality Check

Congrats to all involved.

I hate to rain on the "we will snuff the other one out" contest, but the truth is that the single carrier fantasy will never work in Atlanta. Delta did not snuff Airtran because the consumer will not allow it. I ride on both airlines and have always chosen Airtran when possible. Rates are always comparable on my routes, but the Airtran employees have always been more pleasant. I hear the same thing about Southwest so I am excited. I am however NOT looking forward to no seat selection. Hopefully this will give Delta a reality check on attitude an bag fee's. The removal of business class will send a percentage of business customers right back to Delta, so like I said, both will not only survive, but thrive.

Latest resources

Back