Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airline pilot arrested! Drunk in cockpit!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MalteseX said:
C"mon.... Have you EVER actually seen a woman airline captain wear a dress?

Yes, but not while flying an airplane, it's not the uniform. And the question related to seeing the captain in a bar.

Okay, back to the topic at hand.
I agree, changing the regs to 12 hours doesn't solve the problem. If pilots drink inside 8 hours, or as in the case of the NWA folks, just before boarding, it's not the drinking rule that needs to be changed, it the people drinking before flying.

I would presume that in this case, that person won't be a pilot for quite a while.

MalteseX said:
C"mon.... Have you EVER actually seen a woman airline captain wear a dress?
The real question isn't whether you've seen airline captains wearing a dress, it's whether or not you've seen them wearing a condom when they aren't.

I knew this would happen when they decided to make screeners federal employees. Now, anyone can see a pilot and call someone to make a complaint, but making them federal law enforcement officials will lead to abuse. I don't belive it's any of their business if a pilot smells or looks wrong to them.

Of course, I don't believe in random alcohol or drug tests either, as there is no reasonable cause to test people just because they work at an airline. I don't think it's legal, but to test it someone would have to refuse to be tested and lose their job. I'm not sure I would trust the Supreme Court with that decision. Of course, I will follow the law as it currently reads, even though I disagree with it.

skydiverdriver2 said:
I knew this would happen when they decided to make screeners federal employees. Now, anyone can see a pilot and call someone to make a complaint, but making them federal law enforcement officials will lead to abuse. I don't belive it's any of their business if a pilot smells or looks wrong to them.

Of course, I don't believe in random alcohol or drug tests either, as there is no reasonable cause to test people just because they work at an airline. I don't think it's legal, but to test it someone would have to refuse to be tested and lose their job. I'm not sure I would trust the Supreme Court with that decision. Of course, I will follow the law as it currently reads, even though I disagree with it.

How many airline crashes have occured with a .08/.07/.06/.05/.04% BAC?

Probably not as many as those caused by persons impaired with religion.

Per the SOP, a TSA Screener would be required to call a LEO for suspected un-fit for duty. Quoting the Job Description is not valid as the individual airport's SOP dictates the reponsiblility of the TSA workforce. That said, the proper action is for the Screener (TSO) to notify the Screening Manager (SM) who will coordinate LEOs, because it's a criminal act. With this in mind, there is a process by which TSA can hold the aircraft if LEOs are running a little slow that particular day. The aircraft was going no-where, and there was probably much less of a scene to get the guy in the cockpit instead of in front of 1000 passengers in a terminal. In truth, the SOP would have required SWA be notified and a combined presence should have removed the pilot from the aircraft as quietly as possible, most likely announcing that the crew, "clocked out".

With consideration of TSA, all this is coordinated a facility by a neutral party in a facility far away.

Latest resources

Back