Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Airline pilot arrested! Drunk in cockpit!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why did TSA wait until he was in the cockpit to test him? Why not stop him at security if they thought he was drunk? Is this just to make sure the charges are more severe? I would imagine he could get out of it if he wasn't in the cockpit. Too bad they didn't stop him at screening instead of letting him get in the coclpit.

Too bad they didn't stop him at screening instead of letting him get in the coclpit.

What's the difference between where he was stopped? Maybe the humilation factor? He was still intending to fly.

Philerup said:
Why did TSA wait until he was in the cockpit to test him? Why not stop him at security if they thought he was drunk? .

If the TSA said something at the security check point, he would say he is sick and non-reving home. No crime commited.

Guys and gals, if you had a "really fun" overnight, CALL IN SICK. If you are dumb enough to go thru security, and got a feeling someone is "on to you", get on your cell phone and CALL IN SICK.

Dont take the chance that you will not get caught.

Here is (possibly) another pilot career and family ruined.

If the TSA said something at the security check point, he would say he is sick and non-reving home. No crime commited

Exactly.No one should be flying if under the influence, that goes without saying. But if you can stop someone before they commit a crime, why not do it. Why wait until they are in the process of a crime, when saying something at screening would have the same effect, keeping them off the flight. Same as if your Captain showed up drunk in the hotel lobby. Would you tell them then that you thought they were drunk, or wait until in the cockpit and then call the cops on them.

Philerup said:
Exactly.No one should be flying if under the influence, that goes without saying. But if you can stop someone before they commit a crime, why not do it. Why wait until they are in the process of a crime, when saying something at screening would have the same effect, keeping them off the flight. Same as if your Captain showed up drunk in the hotel lobby. Would you tell them then that you thought they were drunk, or wait until in the cockpit and then call the cops on them.

These things make great bar stories! "Yeah, I was the drunk America West pilot and look at me now!"

Philerup said:
Exactly.No one should be flying if under the influence, that goes without saying. But if you can stop someone before they commit a crime, why not do it. .

I understand what you are saying and I agree with it. But you cant go around accusing people of an "up coming crime". Why not stand in front of a gun shop, and when a gun buyer comes out tell him you want to stop him from killing someone before he actually does. You will probably get your ars kicked. Believe me, I am one of the cops (and TSAs) biggest critics, but you cant go accusing people for stuff like that.

That being said, maybe the TSA people could make a statement like, " hope your not planning on flying in that shape". Now, the TSA has not "accused" the pilot of anything, but instead given a verbal warning, and the pilot can get in charge of his future.

Question, how many of you guys actually drink on an overnight?. I personally dont drink at all if I'm going to fly. Not that I cant but that i'm sick for 2 days afterwards if I have 2 or 3 beers (bad kidneys).

I'm just wondering if the recent slew of the guys getting nabbed by TSA is indicative of a larger problem or if it's just an anomaly.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back