• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest 300 / 500 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Other important stuff: The bag storage area under the jumpseat in the 700's has a flat floor, so you can just lay your bag flat and roll it in. The classics have a screw sticking up, so you need to lift the forward(towards the nose) edge of the bag to get it past the screw. Also the classics tend to be a lot warmer in the summer, although some of the older 700s are getting a bit toasty too. Not uncommon to taxi out with the left pack on the APU and the right on the #2 engine in the summer, then packs on high for climbout. And possibly the biggest safety related difference: The 700's potable water is pressurized by its own compressor, so the A F/A can start making coffee before you start the APU. This is critical on an AM.

Last edited:
You will need to learn how to FLY again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing about the 300/500 is pretty similar relative to the 700/800 if you think about it: the overhead panel (thanks Southwest for stalling progress!). On a serious note, the way I'd look at it is that it will be your last chance to "enjoy" 1970/80s era aircraft because everything will go digital and in the future and you will pretty much be along for the ride vs. actually flying an aircraft.

Just remember that scene from the movie "Airplane" where they show the 707 cockpit from left to right and it keeps going and going and going - all of those buttons and knobs and switches...

You will need to learn how to FLY again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing about the 300/500 is pretty similar relative to the 700/800 if you think about it: the overhead panel (thanks Southwest for stalling progress!). On a serious note, the way I'd look at it is that it will be your last chance to "enjoy" 1970/80s era aircraft because everything will go digital and in the future and you will pretty much be along for the ride vs. actually flying an aircraft.

Just remember that scene from the movie "Airplane" where they show the 707 cockpit from left to right and it keeps going and going and going - all of those buttons and knobs and switches...

Maybe if there were more of the old, 1970's 737's flying around, you could get out of your RJ.

Those switches and knobs and buttons are really tricky. It's very scary piloty stuff.

Maybe if there were more of the old, 1970's 737's flying around, you could get out of your RJ.

Those switches and knobs and buttons are really tricky. It's very scary piloty stuff.

All those knobs and buttons and lights are just for show anyway. No one actually knows what half that crap is. It's just so the pilots look important.

Another vitally important difference between the -700 and the -300 is the all-important factor of F/A satisfaction (and no, I'm not saying the best looking pilots fly the -700; although that may be true, it's immaterial). When flying the -300, it is one of the certainties of aviation that the F/As will be either too hot or too cold. There is absolutely, positvely, damn-certain-tootingly, no friggin' way to get the temperature right. In a -700, you've got a pretty fair shot at getting it halfway decent. In the -300, you've got the same chance as Hitler has of winning the 'Top Humanitarian of the Twentieth Century' award.

But regardless, I just want to say good luck; we're all counting on you.

Bubba

Thanks for all the info. Now if the first couple of hundred pilots senior to me skip class I'll be good to go. Unless that happens it will be a year or more. Go ahead and start replacing those 3 -500 s w 787s already.

So is the Sim time done in the -700? And then you do some sort of differences/transition training for the 300&500?

The biggest advantage to a -300 with VNAV is that it wil stay on path most of the time during a descent. Just pull the throttles to idle at TOD and it'll do the rest.

With the -700s, "what's it doing now" is followed by "MCP SPD" and happens more often than not.

Gotta luv Common VNAV. It's like SWA went to Boeing and said "That's great but don't you have anything cheaper?". Then Boeing said, "Well, we can get Common VNAV which really dumbs down the system and is actually going to get crews in trouble with crossing restrictions...wait, how about we bundle Common VNAV with ACARS programming that my 11 year old son programmed for a school project. That really sucks too but we can offer it to you for CHEAP". If course SWA said "We'll take it!". And now you know the rest if the story.

Latest resources

Back