Southern Company Services

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

westshan

Anyone know what equipment these folks operate?

SCS0107030 -- Pilot
Company: Southern Company Services

Job Summary

This position will be based in Pensacola FL. The Pilot job exists to transport Southern Company Executives, designated employees and business associates while conducting business for the company. This position is to fly company airplanes in transporting company executives, employees and business associates to conduct business on behalf of Southern Company and its subsidiaries.

Job requirements

· 3000 hours Total Time
· 1000 hours PIC multi wing
· 500 hours turbine
· ATP rating preferred
· First Class Medical Certificate

Education requirements

· College degree desirable

Knowledge, Skills & Abilities

· Must be a self starter, able to work under minimal supervision
· Must be a cooperative team player
· Must accept flexible schedules including: Early mornings, late nights, weekend flights and overnight travel
· Must have good communications skills
· Must be able to interact appropriately with executive level customers

Job Responsibilities

· To transport executives, employees and guests safely and efficiently in company airplanes
· To plan all aspects of corporate flights in company aircraft including preflight responsibilities, weather assessment flight planning
· Perform a complete preflight inspection of the aircraft, to include an external walk-around and a cabin inspection. Use all required checklists.
· Oversee the refueling and servicing of the aircraft and ensure that proper provisions are on board for each flight.
· Assist in the loading and unloading of baggage and perform other services, as required, to expedite the handling of passengers.
· During all phases of flight, perform assigned pilot duties. Monitor all activities in the cockpit and inform the Captain of any irregularities that could affect safety of flight.
· In the event of the incapacitation of the Captain, assume control of the aircraft for the remainder of a flight.
· Complete all required aircraft forms, logs, records, and reports.
· Perform additional administrative duties and special projects, as assigned by the Chief Pilot
· To be mentored and trained by existing experienced pilots employed by Southern Company Services.
· Remain current and qualified in the assigned aircraft and be familiar with all regulations and procedures pertaining to its operation. Continue to expand and improve the knowledge and skill necessary for upgrade to Captain.
· Maintain valid licenses and certificates required to perform flight duties. Obtain and maintain a passport.

When serving as a crewmember on a trip, a Pilot is operationally responsible to the Pilot-in Command for that trip. At all other times, a Pilot reports to and is administratively responsible to the Chief Pilot at his or her assigned base of operations.

A Pilot assists the Captain in operating the aircraft and providing service to the passengers. When the Captain delegates some of his/her duties, or if he/she becomes incapacitated, a Pilot must be prepared to assume the Captain's duties. Because a Pilot is considered to be in training for upgrading to Captain status, he/she is expected to take advantage of the Captain's experience, instructions, and advice.

Must model the "Southern Style" behaviors of unquestionable trust, superior performance, and total commitment

Lear 45's and a few Sikorsky's, I believe.

I can't speak for the organization now, but a few years back we had an interesting experience with the Southern Co. flight department. G-IV serial number 1229 had been built for Entergy Co. When they shed their CEO and underwent a reorganization, the aircraft was sold to Southern Company. After about a year, Southern Co. experienced a downturn and had to sell it as well. TransExec was to purchase the G-IV, but it had to go through a pre-buy inspection performed by Gulfstream Aerospace before this could happen.

Another test pilot and I flew out from Savannah to perform the Technical Evaluation on the jet. The Southern Co. chief pilot, who by that time had about 300 hours total in Gulfstreams, questioned our qualifications to fly his aircraft. In that, between us, we had North of 12,000 hours in G-IVs and were both FAA certified Test Pilots qualified to issue Certificates of Airworthiness for the G-IV, we were somewhat surprised. We finally resolved the issue and performed the test flight, but the whole episode indicated a level of arrogance that we had not experienced in other flight departments.

On the other hand, David Bilson from TransExec was a real gentleman and a pleasure to work with.

GV

I don't know much about anything but I seem to remember hearing typical 5 day work weeks and short pay. I believe they spend most of their time zig zagging all over the southland as sort of corporate housekeeping shuttles. Out in the AM home in the PM.

I could be wrong.

I don't know much about anything but I seem to remember hearing typical 5 day work weeks and short pay. I believe they spend most of their time zig zagging all over the southland as sort of corporate housekeeping shuttles. Out in the AM home in the PM.

I could be wrong.

Yip-- that's about right-- not many weekend flights at all--

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back