• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southern Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, Atlas wanted to buy North American, for their 76's. In the 11th hour, their management said take World/North American or nothing at all. Atlas walked. This was told to me by an ex union head.

Actually, Atlas wanted to buy North American, for their 76's. In the 11th hour, their management said take World/North American or nothing at all. Atlas walked. This was told to me by an ex union head.

I had heard that same exact story. It sounds plausible in that North American has all 767s at this point in the market where Atlas wants to grow. All those rumors with Global fell quite a few months ago though.

From what I understand, Atlas has been taking a look at Southern. I do not know where they are at in the process. Deal, no deal, or still looking at it.

Last edited:
Yep. The potential buy would have happened before we started our 76 program. Guess they wanted NA for certificate and 76's, rather then starting the 76 program from scratch. Price too high for NA.

Southern and due diligence

The Southern certificate at first looks good for the quick 777 add on, but on further investigation their ETOPS status is questionable at best and would have problems transitioning to Pax operations. The lack of a coherent ETOPS program would not be allowed to evolve to the Pax side that Atlas Holdings was initially interested in without considerable investment. The initial proposal was for about 40 cents on the dollar, but on further findings they are only worth about 20 cents on the dollar and have serious issues regarding certification standards.

The Southern certificate at first looks good for the quick 777 add on, but on further investigation their ETOPS status is questionable at best and would have problems transitioning to Pax operations. The lack of a coherent ETOPS program would not be allowed to evolve to the Pax side that Atlas Holdings was initially interested in without considerable investment. The initial proposal was for about 40 cents on the dollar, but on further findings they are only worth about 20 cents on the dollar and have serious issues regarding certification standards.

So, just to be clear, an offer was made? It was just a low-ball offer?

Hey Classic,

SAI's Fleet is as follows:
4 777s, 4 744s and 6 classics soon to be parked.
Are you saying the Atlas/ Southern deal is done?
Can you elaborate a little more?

Southern sources are saying it's a done deal, but includes only a couple 777's. What is the current Southern fleet?

Don't they operate all the 777's for DHL? CVG to OBBI, LAX to Liepzig, and an around the world flight?

Last edited:
I'm saying my source is saying the deal is done, and just for some 777's. Facts are in VERY short supply.

The Exco's are talking. We'll see.

Latest resources

Back