• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southern Air Interview Gouge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another quick question: On APC the Teamsters are listed as the union at Southern Air, but I have seen several posts (maybe written by people who do not work for Southern) stating that Southern is non-union and that the company tends to jack the pilots around, for example one person wrote that pilots are often left in someplace line Incheon for their days off if it is inconvenient for the company to get them home. I find that hard to believe - especially if the pilots have a union (even if it's the Teamsters who, incidentally, did very little to help the pilots of the last company I flew for when the company routinely violated the contract). Just trying to clarify my info. Thanks for the info - it is much appreciated.

Another quick question: On APC the Teamsters are listed as the union at Southern Air (1224), but I have seen several posts (maybe written by people who do not work for Southern) stating that Southern is non-union (NO) and that the company tends to jack the pilots around (YES), for example one person wrote that pilots are often left in someplace line Incheon for their days off if it is inconvenient for the company to get them home. I find that hard to believe - especially if the pilots have a union (even if it's the Teamsters who, incidentally, did very little to help the pilots of the last company I flew for when the company routinely violated the contract). Just trying to clarify my info. Thanks for the info - it is much appreciated.

I hope this helps a little. Most companies will violate the contract, fly it then griev it issue. Unions are only as good as the membership who volunteers to help run the show.

Thank you unwashed. Much appreciated. At my former company we had Teamsters and we had a good group in the MEC and in the committees, but got zero backing from the local 747. We had grievances backed up for two years and it got to the point where the contract was no more than toilet paper.

What is your overall impression at Southern Air? Do you like it/consider it a good place to spend a career? How are the benefits like health insurance, etc... Thanks again - I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer.

Cattlecar I don't work for Southern but for a competitor in the 1224. 747 had its failings with a gentlemen at the helm GS esquire. I can't intelligently answer the rest of your questions, but hopefully someone who works there can.

I remember GS. For all the money he was /is paid you might think he would actually do something for the benefit of the pilots he purports to work for instead of only working to benefit himself and the IBT... and, of course the politicians. I hope the 1224 is a better organization with better/more ethical/honest folks at the top.

What is your overall impression at Southern Air? Do you like it/consider it a good place to spend a career? How are the benefits like health insurance, etc... Thanks again - I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer.

if you have other places to go, i would go there first!

Latest Interview process

Does anyone know the latest interview process, questions at Southern Air?

Thanks

The interview was very low key and comfortable. It started out with a group meet and greet followed by an overall discussion of "where are we now, where are we planning to go and what are we all about". Then, they wrapped it up with a question & answer session.

Afterwards, there are two face to face interviews (one with the 777 Chief Pilot and the new DO, the other with two ladies from HR) and a ride in a 737-200 sim.

The face to face interviews were very relaxed so don't get uptight. They really didn't ask any technical or "tell me about a time" questions. It felt like they just wanted to see if they liked you as an individual and they said the main purpose behind the interview was the sim evaluation.

For the sim, they usually took two interviewees at a time. One would sit in the back and watch while the other is evaluated, then you'd switch places. In the right seat, helping you out a LOT, was a Check Airman. No briefings, no checklists, just a straight forward evaluation of your flying ability. He would tell you where to bug your speeds, when to lower the flaps and the new airspeed to maintain for that configuration. You manipulate the flight controls and the thrust levers, however, you can ask him to make the final tweaks to your power settings for take off. Runway heading, a couple vectors, "turn direct to the VOR and hold X on the XXX radial". What they're looking for here is; can you enter a hold correctly, do you know what the max holding speed is for your altitude and did you think to make the required calls (i.e time entering the hold). It wouldn't hurt to brief your FO on your holding intentions and ask for confirmation. Shows good CRM and keeps you from blowing the hold because you're nervous and maybe missed the fact that he said "left turns". Then, it's vectors to the ILS for landing. On the way, they may ask "Where are you? Where's the airport in relation to us?". Then, a normal ILS to landing. The things to watch for in the sim are: Be easy on the controls! As with any plane, if you hamfist this thing, you're altitude, airspeed and heading control will be horrible! Scan constantly and be real careful of the sink as you roll into turns and the balloon as you roll out. It took surprisingly large thrust lever adjustments to maintain a level, constant airspeed turn so be prepared for that. After every flap position change, count 5 - 7 seconds and be prepared for it to balloon! Make small corrections and she'll fly beautiful. Make large corrections and you'll be all over the place. This may sound obvious but you'd be surprised how many comments there were about how hard this sim was to fly. Don't get freaked out, just use finesse and make small pitch corrections.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back