Southeast Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ride High said:
The PIC King Air time is supervised by the chief pilot. I have been in full control of the aircraft and at times he has been in the back with passengers. When in this position I operate as "single pilot". He is an ATP with about 14000 hours. He is not an instructor and the operation is Part 91. I have not been to a school other than his checkout and training from the ATP. How should I log this time to not look out of the ordinary? I know the systems pretty well and continue to study because I know people will dig deep. This has been the greatest learning experience and I have learned more in the last 8 months then I the last two years. I do not want this to be for nothing because I have become a much better pilot with much more room to grow. thanks for any suggestions

You are not the PIC. You are being supervised by the Chief Pilot. You haven't even been to school for the aircraft for Christ sake.

If you have not been to any approved training program on the King Air through FSI, Simuflite or the like NO INSURANCE COMPANY WOULD INSURE YOU TO FLY THAT AIRCRAFT. How can you be a PIC on an aircraft that an Insurance Company wouldn't insure you in? I have about 8 times the amount of flight time that you do and I have to go to school at FlightSafety every 6 months. NO EXCEPTIONS.

If I was interviewing prospects for a pilot job and you walked in with 100 hours of King Air "PIC" listed on your Resume I wouldn't hire you because you are lying about your experience.

Until you have been to school on the King Air and can satisfy the insurance requirements to be listed on the policy you cannot act as PIC on this aircraft.

Just to be sure ask your Chief Pilot if you can take the next trip by yourself with no other pilot on board. Or at the very least a pilot with less experience than you. When he says no you will have your answer.

Spirit of the law vs. Letter of the law...

Yes you are correct. Legally you may log that time as PIC and no one can ever tell you that you can't. You have fulfilled all the legal requirements to act as PIC of that aircraft.

However, everyone knows that if somehting were to go wrong while the other pilot was in the back of the airplane he is not going to just buckle up in the passenger cabin and tell you to go get 'em. He is going to be up there in the cockpit flying the airplane while you do your best to keep up with the checklist.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and heartache over lost job opportunities. When someone asks you about it tell them that it was a great experience, you learned a lot but that it was just what it was. You were tagging along with a very experienced corporate pilot trying to learn all you could about flying larger, faster, turbine aircraft. This approach will get you much further than all the bogus King Air time in the world.

Where in the Southeast are you? I may be able to help.

I know it is not true PIC time based on insurance, but what about the log book. I know plenty of people have been in this situation. You are correct the chief pilot is not going to sit back and totally relack but did anyone ever totally relack when they sent students on solo cross countries. I am just wanting to show the experience and build the time. I have studied the systems and will be going to school in the next 6 months if not around. I met the regs but I am not trying to full anyone. I stated PIC because I meant he was letting me act and train as the sole pilot on board under his supervision. I am trying to move up while also instructing not trying to trick anyone that is more wise then I.

I would bet that if, this guy who is letting you fly alone while he's in the back, his insurance company learned of this practice, they'd drop him like a hot potato. At our company, we cannot use someone as an SIC unless they've done a full initial with sim training!

Fly with the guy, learn from the experience, make note of it in the back of your logbook, but for heaven's sake, DO NOT LOG THIS TIME! If you're serious about making aviation a career, prolong your progress by not putting HUGE red flags in your logbook! When you really stop to think about it, you're really just along for a ride on the King Air with the benefit of getting to fly it from time to time. You are by no stretch of one's imagination, the PIC.

I know this sounds harsh coming from so many people, but you've got a lot of well qualified people here who know corporate operations telling you the same thing.

2000Flyer

So is this time good for nothing because a lot of other experienced guys are telling me its totally legal to log the time as long as the regs are met and not the insurance. They tell me that the insurance is for job position but that logging the time legally is different. I am not trying to argue but clarify. These guys have lots of corporate experience.

You are legal to log it. If it were me I would because by the FARs you are PIC as sole manipulator of the controls. It is legal, but you may not get credit for it from the employer. You are not gonna get in trouble for logging it so I would. Most of these guys know more about corporate stuff and how it's looked upon than I do though...

Legally you can log the time that you were at the controls. Don't log the time that you weren't flying as SIC. It's no good. But go ahead and log your sole manipulator time, it's legal.
*BUT* be sure you know the airplane in case you are asked about it in the future. I don't know why an interviewer would discredit you for legally logging flight time. However, they will most definitely discredit you and your time if after questioning you they find out that you know nothing about the airplane in which you were logging PIC time.

Ride High said:
So is this time good for nothing because a lot of other experienced guys are telling me its totally legal to log the time as long as the regs are met and not the insurance. They tell me that the insurance is for job position but that logging the time legally is different. I am not trying to argue but clarify. These guys have lots of corporate experience.

Technically, you are correct. If you've done 3 takeoffs and landings in the King Air, you are "qualified" to act as PIC, provided it's not a BE350 which, if memory serves, requires a type rating.

The point many of us are trying to make is that you're putting a huge red flag in your logbook. Only a handfull of corporate flight departments that I know of actually do a logbook review during an interview. However, submitting a resume of 1000TT, 300 ME and 100 PIC in a King Air will immediately cause the potential employer to question you. It's much like saying you have 1000TT and 500 actual IFR. It may be true and you're being completely honest. But why put that red flag out there that will probably get your resume canned and you'll never even hear from them.

In the end, it's obviously your call as to how you log your time. All we're trying to tell you is to be prudent. By jumping on a board such as this, full of experienced professionals and one of your first statements was your PIC King Air time raised many eyebrows. Don't you think you'll get the same response sending out resumes?

2000Flyer

Thanks for the advice. I am not putting it on my resume as turbine PIC or king air PIC. I will leave that until they want to see my log book when talking to them in the future. I just wanted to put some of my quals. out to allow anyone that could help see that I had more than C172 experience. I also have about 15 hrs Part 91 SIC challenger 604 time but I would not dare put that in my log book or bring it up to interviewers. That is just for experience.

Ride High said:
Thanks for the advice. I am not putting it on my resume as turbine PIC or king air PIC. I will leave that until they want to see my log book when talking to them in the future. I just wanted to put some of my quals. out to allow anyone that could help see that I had more than C172 experience. I also have about 15 hrs Part 91 SIC challenger 604 time but I would not dare put that in my log book or bring it up to interviewers. That is just for experience.

Ok, now I'm really curious. Please tell me what you did or how they qualified you as SIC on a 604. I'm not trying to be critical and I know it can be done. I know one Fortune 100 company they hired 700 hour pilots as SICs on GV's. I also know they went through a full initial at FSI to do so.

Thanks in advance.

2000Flyer

Latest resources

Back