• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Song Service Expansion Plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
News Flash...Song does work. What they are doing is working on turning more and more of the doemestic travel into a "song product" which customers are loving. Pax don't seem to mind five hour hold times if they have a TV infront of them along with some good eats.

Delta will tap the best features of its highly acclaimed Song product to launch a new, long-haul domestic Song service for Delta customers. The plan to merge Song into the Delta travel experience includes adding 26 first class seats to Song's existing fleet of 48 Boeing 757-200 aircraft, making the service more attractive to business travelers and significantly enhancing revenue opportunities.
Delta will convert 50 additional aircraft to two-class Song service, complete with all-leather seating and new interiors throughout. The plan also includes expanding state-of-the-art personal digital in-flight entertainment to all 100-plus aircraft, with 24 channels of live television, 10 on-demand video channels, interactive video games and MP3 programming that allows customers to create their own play lists from an inventory of more than 1,600 songs.
This exclusive Song service will be offered initially on all transcontinental Delta flights, beginning next fall. During a two-year period, Delta will expand the service to include all routes longer than 1,750 miles.
Delta's new uniforms, improved snack service and award-winning SkyMiles program will become a part of the new service.
"As Delta continues its transformation to become a more customer-focused airline, we are incorporating the best of Song into the best of Delta," said CEO Jerry Grinstein. "Our new Song service will set the standard in transcontinental travel, making Delta the first choice for customers on these routes."

I think it's funny (sad really) how reporters take the same news story and report it in completely different ways.

It's obvious that Song is not going away. The advent of the company within the company may be heading south, but Song will continue to live.

I loved to fly on Song when I was able to travel for free, and now that I'm buying tickets again, I still fly on Song. All in all a very enjoyable flying experience.

jester757 said:
News Flash...Song does work. What they are doing is working on turning more and more of the doemestic travel into a "song product" which customers are loving.

Bingo!!!!! Delta obviously has been experimenting with the Song product and they like the results. The conversion of 50 more aircraft for Song service is a vote of confidence in the product. The planned expansion of Song within the mainline with over 100 757s is a major commitment to the product. I'm glad to see that DAL wants to improve the DAL brand with Song service instead of creating a competing brand.

One of the weaknesses of the Song product has been the lack of 1st class seating for higher yield business passengers. Adding 1st class service is a smart move and only improves the product.:D :D :D

FDJ2 said:
With over $2B in DIP financing, I'm sure the funds will be there. I don't see the judge standing in the way either.

Are you related to the general? Just kidding.

The LIFT is not going away. Per aircraft capacity is going to be reduced back down on the 48 Song units but to say that this is some sort of capitulation to jetBlue is nonsense. We're not going to give up NE-FLA flying and we're not going to shrink the transcon service either.

?

tuna pimp said:
The LIFT is not going away. Per aircraft capacity is going to be reduced back down on the 48 Song units but to say that this is some sort of capitulation to jetBlue is nonsense. We're not going to give up NE-FLA flying and we're not going to shrink the transcon service either.

Two quick questions:

1. What is "capitulation" ?
2. Who is "We're" ?

BBD

tuna pimp said:

The fat lady hasn't sung yet...
There will be domestic shrinkage...

How about those 767s that were sold to Airborne?

Are you related to the "General"?
just kidding.

BlueBusDriver said:
Two quick questions:

1. What is "capitulation" ?
2. Who is "We're" ?

BBD

1. We're not pulling out of New York/Boston to FLA or West Coast markets. Just repainting and reconfiguring our airplanes (again!). FL717 had posted a report that made this sound like a big win for jetBlue.

2. We're Delta Air Lines

8vATE said:
The fat lady hasn't sung yet...
There will be domestic shrinkage...

How about those 767s that were sold to Airborne?

Are you related to the "General"?
just kidding.

There will be domestic 'shrinkage' (and I don't like that word). I just don't see DL giving up much ground to jetBlue in direct compete markets, that's all.

I read the General's posts pretty regularly. I know anybody on this board who agrees with mgmt is drinking kool-aid ;) but to be honest, he's usually not too far off from the truth of what's going on. DL management makes good decisions and some bad ones, that much is obvious. And you can buy into the great DL 'transformation plan' or you can sluff it off but the intent of it is to restore the company to profitability. We don't show up at the GO each morning, grab a cup of coffee and a bagel and say 'how can we better screw over the pilots today'. We only do that on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. :laugh:

banger said:
And the integration of the Song talent (FA's') with the older DAL FAs won't be pretty.

uh, every Song flight attendant is a former DAL flight attendant, who kept their Delta seniority number. There will be no issues on the Song FAs coming back.

Latest resources

Back