Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back to the Original Question...

(Presuming you are not a CFI)
OK...Letting your "non-pilot" passenger touch the controls at altitude & during a "non-critical" phase of flight is one thing...but...

IN THE CONTEXT OF THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
The pilot (non-CFI) intended to go flying (in the right seat) with a certificated student pilot (in the left seat) actively controlling the aircraft...for all practical purposes acting as a "defacto" CFI...

Would NOT risk EITHER my bank account or certificate that way.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
Hello everyone. :)

Thank you for all the replies and insight to this.

I have not been able to check the boards in quite a while, as I have been on vacation.

I wound up going up with my friend in one of the FBO's planes.

He(the student pilot) an A&P mechanic who works on the aircraft at the FBO, has been signed off to go solo, as well as make frequent trips between two airports. (approx 15 miles within each other). He has been doing practice manouvres, touch N' Goes.. etc.

When We did go up, I sat Right Seat and he sat left. I chose this because;

A. I have flown a plane from the right before,
and

B. If he were to "fly" from the right he would not be accustomed to the views./sight picture/. parallax etc...

The entire time I was "shadowing" his controls. He did 2 take off and landings, and I did 1 take off and landing.

The entire flight was uneventfull, and I was really at ease with his "flying ability"( although not once did I let my guard down). I continued to keep a scan inside as well as outside going.

I did not log anything for that flight(including the time that I was actually flying), nor did he. It was moreso a fun Local vfr bug smashing flight.

I did go flying with him in "HIS" plane; however due to insurance requirements(needing 500 hrs PIC or being an owner) We took with us his flight instructor who was able to fullfill the 500 hour requirements.

(I sat in the back seat for that one :rolleyes: :p ) hehe Hey whaddya gonna do... I couldn't tell me friend to sit in the back of his "OWN" plane.. while me and his CFI get to fly it.

In closing, Saftey was of paramount importance to me, I asked him various things, before we even got into the air, as well as went over "what if this happens" scenerios, and that im legally PIC and things of that nature.

It was a very good experience for me, as well a time well spent.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back