• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some Techincal Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you for the replies, they have been very helpful. They coencide well with many of the things I read. I'll keep reading, absorbing this all.

"Stick & Rudder"

VVJM265 said:
A few suggestions on some other books, if you haven’t thought of them yet:

1. Encyclopedia of Technical Aviation, Gary V. Bristow.
2. Airplane Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-3A; the 2004 ed.); especially chapter 15 for jet transition.
3. Stick & Rudder, Wolfgang Langewiesche; a classic on the basics.

Good luck!

Excellent suggestion on "Stick & Rudder" - it's a classic. I based my 8th grade science fair project on it.

Guitar Guy said:
Excellent suggestion on "Stick & Rudder" - it's a classic. I based my 8th grade science fair project on it.

Thanks. I read it before I started Navy flight training and then again 16 years later before I started instructing in the Metroliner. The basics never change.

Last edited:
FlyChicaga I like "Fly the Wing" it has many good explanations. The clarification of the logic behind the approach speed wind additives is a good example (Why 50% of the headwind?). Transport Category Jet manuals will tell you what to do and not why. Take Boeing’s manuals for example - they simply start by saying: “This manual is written under the assumption that the user has had previous multi–engine jet aircraft experience and is familiar with basic jet airplane systems and basic pilot techniques common to airplanes of this type. Therefore, the FCOM does not contain basic flight information that is considered prerequisite training.” This is where the kind of books you are reading can be helpful.

I have read some of FlyChicaga’s posts at this forum for a while and enjoyed following his career advance, I think he who will go far!

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words.

First off, kudos to you FlyChicaga for wanting to expand your knowledge about aviation.

Captain Overs said:
I can tell you were never a CFI. If you were, you would have read those books years ago instead of after getting your first jet job. I think there is something to be said about companies hiring CFI's. They usually have more aviation knowledge than any other pilot, excluding military.

To the mighty captain....I think I've flown with you (or someone like you). I remember because you thought you knew it all and pissed off everyone you came into contact with including F/A's, baggage handlers and me. I also remember having to babysit you during your legs because, as a wise old Captain told me long ago, the guys who talk big normally can't fly worth a sh$t.

Abe44

Captain Overs said:
I can tell you were never a CFI. If you were, you would have read those books years ago instead of after getting your first jet job. I think there is something to be said about companies hiring CFI's. They usually have more aviation knowledge than any other pilot, excluding military.

Give me a break. Half the CFIs teaching nowdays don't even know the stuff they're supposed to be teaching about basic instrument flying, let alone the complexities of jet aerodynamics. Everyone starting in a jet for the first time, including the "experienced" CFIs, should be encouraged to read these books. No need for the attitude.

PCL_128 said:
Give me a break. Half the CFIs teaching nowdays don't even know the stuff they're supposed to be teaching about basic instrument flying, let alone the complexities of jet aerodynamics. Everyone starting in a jet for the first time, including the "experienced" CFIs, should be encouraged to read these books. No need for the attitude.

Agree with you 100%

Latest resources

Back