Some Techincal Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by Captain Overs
I can tell you were never a CFI. If you were, you would have read those books years ago instead of after getting your first jet job. I think there is something to be said about companies hiring CFI's. They usually have more aviation knowledge than any other pilot, excluding military.

Originally Posted by FlyChicaga
Actually, I was/am a CFI/CFII/MEI.

Classic!!!

Captain Overs said:
I can tell you were never a CFI. If you were, you would have read those books years ago instead of after getting your first jet job. I think there is something to be said about companies hiring CFI's. They usually have more aviation knowledge than any other pilot, excluding military.
Not quite sure what you mean by this Captain Overs. Are you saying that you know the answers to FlyChicaga’s questions?

It's pretty easy to tell why Captain Overs has 15,000 hours and is still at XJT. What a loser.

No. 1: Keep reading.

No. 2: Pay attention.

No. 3: The real question is not recovery from windshear, but RECOGNITION!

Every modern airliner has a GPWS, but you can predict it long before the computer recognizes it. Associative learning. LLWS is on the ATIS at just about every airport with 15+ winds reported/recorded and natural or man-made obstructions.

No. 4: Don't trust the ATIS. Those with experience at KMDW can attest. Pilot reports are better.

No. 5: If you're taking off in reported windsheer, into a nice red (or even pink) radar return without an "out," you're nuts. Wait 10 or 15 minutes and let some other shmuk be the genea pig. (The radar on the NG's is the gnat's arse.)

No. 6: Every airplane behaves differently on any given day at any particular airport, and so do pilots. Keep that in mind.

No. 7: Fly the airplane, fly the airplane, fly the airplane! Hovering just below the stall is still flying. It's also highly recommended. Don't forget: don't change the configuration! Radar power and pitch will work just fine in most situations.

abe44 said:
To the mighty captain....I think I've flown with you (or someone like you). I remember because you thought you knew it all and pissed off everyone you came into contact with including F/A's, baggage handlers and me. I also remember having to babysit you during your legs because, as a wise old Captain told me long ago, the guys who talk big normally can't fly worth a sh$t.

Abe44

My sentiments exactly, and very well put.

Latest resources

Back