Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some Owners Have Gripes too (And Sympathy for Crews)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know about jumping ship. They may well be relieved to see that lingering problems like labor unrest is finally getting addressed. That will bode well for their expectation that the company is getting their act together. They will also see that the pilots are paying more attention to mx issues and holding management accountable for taking care of the planes that owners see as a big investment. I should think they'd welcome that, as well.

Ummmm..not really.

Owners care about 3 things. Their investment, the schedule, and safety.

Honestly the percentages of owners that care about the pilots, or even the plight of the company (unless it impacts their 3 concerns) is slim to none.

Much like when the gas station attendant, or mc donalds worker gives you the sob story and you stand there and look interested. What you really are thinking is, "please don't spit in my food."

good point

Ummmm..not really.

Honestly the percentages of owners that care about the pilots, or even the plight of the company (unless it impacts their 3 concerns) is slim to none.

Much like when the gas station attendant, or mc donalds worker gives you the sob story and you stand there and look interested. What you really are thinking is, "please don't spit in my food."

I don't really have a direct influence on their investment but the other two items I have full control over. I will make sure that the plane the passengers receive will be the best maintained plane they can get from me. By doing that I can also assure them that they can throw their schedule out the window. It is no longer about the owner. It is about us the pilots. I hope their children are just as disappointed as mine this holiday season when daddy's jet doesn't show up to take them to Aspen for Christmas. When the owners get fed up enough they will call the manager. Just like at McDonald's when your order isn't correct and you can't get your money back you call the manager for a refund. When the refunds outweigh the cost of paying your employees a decent wage, that is when the company will cry game over and come to the table ready to sign off on our contract that we deserve. This game and every game is about money. I say wheel out the the gas trucks and just burn this place down so we can put FLOPS out of its misery. :uzi:

And Fr8ghtdog you hit the nail right on the head. You know where the real pressure comes from. Bravo sir bravo.

But there are that look from the outside (airline pilots or people that don't fly) that think we're hob knobbing with the rich folk. They think that we're drinking crystal and rapping with 50Cent. At the end of the steps though a successful flight is where they don't know my name and everything went smoothly.

We're no different than the plastic surgeon or the bently dealer. Except for the pay of course.

Lastly, if management actually published what you guys make and send it to us, there would be owner outrage. I think my idea in my previous post of leaving it up to owners to determine if crews should get raises is a novel idea. We aren’t cheap and know that you guys have families and lives outside of a cockpit.

Well that being said, I'm sure tips are always appreciated. We always tip cab drivers, and I've been in quite a few scary cab rides where I felt my safety was not of the utmost importance to them. Oh, and I'll be sure to report those tips to the government. I wouldn't want the government to be cheated out of any of my hard earned money :) Oops, did I say that?

Ummmm..not really.

Ding! On the mark again Diesel. We're the hired help. Mostly, they just want us to shut up and push throttles.....

I nominate this thread for "best since contract ratification", this section of the forum has been dry lately.

I for one think Magoo is for real; his answers and explanations are. If he isn't, he's one hell of a mole!

Magoo brings up a good point about pilot pay being 2% of anual operating cost. If I ask for a 10% raise, I'll be laughed at or given dirty looks by my superiors. If the fetzer valve breaks and replacing it costs 10% of my pay, it will be replaced without batting an eyelash, even if it wasn't "in the budget". They'll consternate over pay for hours, but brush off an unforseen un-negotiable costs ( FUEL PRICES SKYROCKETING, MAINTENANCE, ETC.) like a gnat. Am I less important than a fuel price rising?

Latest resources

Back