Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some Owners Have Gripes too (And Sympathy for Crews)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The points brought up here are certainly valid. Being in charge of working with the owners in our operation, I can say that it is amazing how cost concious some of the owners are when it comes to crew cost. Nor being a fractional, they are billed for the crew as a separate item and I assure you that becomes a point of contention that does not exist where it is lumped in with the other costs.
A GIV operating 500 to 650 hours cost about $500k per year for flight crew. That same owner does not want to hire a permanent flight attendant nor even pay a $300 a day flight attendant fee. Is that rare? Not at all.
What Magoo complains about is really the fractional model. We hear this all the time. If you look at the big picture, the fractionals do a relatively good job of producing the product they are selling. The scheduling, chartering, and elimination of dead head are the toughest operatonal problem. Success in that area does not mean it remains personal.
We recently had a customer who was with some major management companies, and they felt the same way. The thing that is lost is the personal aspects and the person who is putting up all the money feels that he has lost control. It is the most difficult aspect for fractionals and large management companies to overcome.

A GIV operating 500 to 650 hours cost about $500k per year for flight crew. That same owner does not want to hire a permanent flight attendant nor even pay a $300 a day flight attendant fee.

OK, I gotta raise the B.S. flag here. How much do your G-IV crewmembers make annually?

I think the better question would be... how much do you pocket under the disguise of the "crew cost" ?

OK, I gotta raise the B.S. flag here. How much do your G-IV crewmembers make annually?

I think the better question would be... how much do you pocket under the disguise of the "crew cost" ?

Freight Dog,

Who says that the “crew cost” doesn’t include the cost of training, hotels, etc? If you look at wages alone there are additional withholdings, insurance, taxes and so on. I’m not sure what most companies include in “crew cost” when they invoice the customer, but I’m sure a great deal of it contains these sorts of expenses. Now if I’m wrong and your GIV crews really see that kind of money publishers…where can I send a resume? :cool:

I think I have to raise the BS Flag on this entire thread. Isn't it hard to believe that an owner:

1) has the time / interest to find this board

2) has the time / interest to write the thead (which seems all to slanted towards pilots) - folks who fly on our jets typically HATE labor (most of them own companies which in which labor is a high cost)

This guy's profile he describes in his first post "we only like cold cuts and dunken donughts" - come on.

I don't mean to be the conspiritor - but this post is a flook from a pilot who WISHES an owner like this actually existed.

Give me a break!

Not for me. But being the wife of a pilot and knowing how it feels to be accused of being other than I am gives me a different perspective.

As you noted, his message is supportive so why look a gift horse in the mouth? Not to call Magoo a horse, of course....:p

I think I have to raise the BS Flag on this entire thread. Isn't it hard to believe that an owner:

1) has the time / interest to find this board

2) has the time / interest to write the thead (which seems all to slanted towards pilots) - folks who fly on our jets typically HATE labor (most of them own companies which in which labor is a high cost)

This guy's profile he describes in his first post "we only like cold cuts and dunken donughts" - come on.

I don't mean to be the conspiritor - but this post is a flook from a pilot who WISHES an owner like this actually existed.

Give me a break!

There are plenty of owners that are easy and laid back, who don't want escargot, or shrimp at 0700. They are usually the ones who made there own money, and not inherited it.

There are plenty of owners that are easy and laid back, who don't want escargot, or shrimp at 0700. They are usually the ones who made their own money, and not inherited it.
Yep, quite a few of those over in Europe too - I could list quite a few who sound like Mr Magoo! There are even one or 2 who invite you for dinner if you get to stay over an extra day at their location!!

Many times I have a roast beef sandwich or a caesar salad. The fact is, without an oven on my a/c, dover sole, veal milanese, and pasta dishes, taste like crap after sitting in the FBO refrigerator for hours. I do not fly out of TEB or Van Nuys where piping hot dishes are brought to the plane.

Keeo it simple and it tasts great. Plus I hate escargot. I do occasionally get a shrimp cocktail.

Fly safe and thanks.

Magoo did mention that he flies with his children. Ordering simple food that Kids like makes perfect sense to parents.

Hello 'Owner. I thought you might chime in. I trust your family is well.

Owner the same goes for the shrimp cocktail. Cooled heated cooled heated. I'd be wary of it. Stick with safe stuff with mayo and condiments on the side so it doesn't get soggy.

Of course I'm sure NJW will be happy to send you a card or something if you get sick.

Latest resources

Back