Some NWA facts for the General

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Truck,

Just wondering where you think Delta will be getting the capital required to "buy" anyone?

From those idiots running "Hedge funds" or others on Wall Street willing to throw more money down the same hole.
Me - I'd rather have a boat...

yea a boat isn't a money pit either......Delta ain't going to buy anything its going to be a paper deal trading shares and a minimal amount of cash. Basically a marriage.

TPG - Texas pacific group - guaranteed! thats where at least some money will come from. Don't be surprised if NWA is the purchaser. I know, I know. Richard Anderson said Delta name would remain. Lord knows an airline exec would never fib a little. He will do what the $ tells him to do.

CALFO - you are correct about the golden share. Until we are "officially" merged. That could take a long time. I would guess that some $ would take care of that problem for you guys.

What do you mean "officially"? It is nullified as soon as the stock transaction takes place. That happens at the beginning of the merger.

Last edited:
Accents - no southern drawls here, Billy Joe Jim Bob
Hey, what about us NWA boys livin down South and commutin to the great white north?

DTW320
(Not named Billy, Joe, Jim or Bob)

Now if we could get rid of the hat during this whole mess, I think it might be worth it. That would be awesome!! :)

On a side note, does it really matter what you bring to the table if Delta is the one doing the buying?

Well everyone assumes just because DAL came out first and said hey we are interested in a potential merger that that means they are Buying. Just because they pulled the trigger on announcing the desire to consolidate doesnt mean that they have a big blank check. IF it happens it will be a merger with paper and stock swap. IMHO

nwaredtail,

Wow, you sound pretty defensive. It's true that MSP and DTW are great hubs for you guys, and you have a fantastic Asian network, but beyond that, everything is mediocre. No West Coast presence. Small Southeast presence in MEM. Not much activity in the Northeast where a huge portion of the US population lives. Europe relies heavily upon KLM (which is a good alliance).

Nice to see that you are impressed with NWA's margins. Your profit numbers will continue to improve as you add lower-cost E175s to replace gas-guzzling Diesel 9s. Of course, that's not so great for your pilot group when you think about it... It's called outsourcing.

Who knows if a merger will actually take place? The DOJ could easily nix the entire deal. Even Oberstar is negative about it (convenient that he is from Minnesota). However, if you really think about it, a combined Delta and NWA (after the inevitable nasty integration) would be a powerhouse. The route network would be the best in the world with strong Asia, strong Europe, strong domestic US, strong South America and growing Africa (maybe that will be a good market someday). Sure, a hub or two might have to be reduced, but probably not by much - MEM/CVG would be the question mark in my mind. Regardless, other hubs don't touch each other and would probably coexist - MSP, DTW, ATL, LAX, JFK, SLC, etc. Not sure how the regional feed would work out because you probably wouldn't need so many different feeders. The combined carrier could probably negotiated better terms with the remaining regionals to guarantee access to more combined feed - that would be cheaper for the combined legacy (but not so good for regional pilots like me).

So, quit being so negative. We have no control over the situation. We can all sit here and speculate but nobody knows what will happen. Again, the DOJ could easily say no and stop everything. One thing is for certain, those 787s would look great in Delta colors...

nwaredtail,

Wow, you sound pretty defensive. It's true that MSP and DTW are great hubs for you guys, and you have a fantastic Asian network, but beyond that, everything is mediocre. No West Coast presence. Small Southeast presence in MEM. Not much activity in the Northeast where a huge portion of the US population lives. Europe relies heavily upon KLM (which is a good alliance).

Nice to see that you are impressed with NWA's margins. Your profit numbers will continue to improve as you add lower-cost E175s to replace gas-guzzling Diesel 9s. Of course, that's not so great for your pilot group when you think about it... It's called outsourcing.

Who knows if a merger will actually take place? The DOJ could easily nix the entire deal. Even Oberstar is negative about it (convenient that he is from Minnesota). However, if you really think about it, a combined Delta and NWA (after the inevitable nasty integration) would be a powerhouse. The route network would be the best in the world with strong Asia, strong Europe, strong domestic US, strong South America and growing Africa (maybe that will be a good market someday). Sure, a hub or two might have to be reduced, but probably not by much - MEM/CVG would be the question mark in my mind. Regardless, other hubs don't touch each other and would probably coexist - MSP, DTW, ATL, LAX, JFK, SLC, etc. Not sure how the regional feed would work out because you probably wouldn't need so many different feeders. The combined carrier could probably negotiated better terms with the remaining regionals to guarantee access to more combined feed - that would be cheaper for the combined legacy (but not so good for regional pilots like me).

So, quit being so negative. We have no control over the situation. We can all sit here and speculate but nobody knows what will happen. Again, the DOJ could easily say no and stop everything. One thing is for certain, those 787s would look great in Delta colors...

Not possible with the current contract. Its easy to talk out of your rear when you dont do the research needed to post accurately. I will just suggest you get your facts right before you post your opinion and present it as fact. I agree that we shouldn't be arguing about this because in the end our Opinions dont mean much. However IF it happens we have a big say in our futures when we are 1 HUGE pilot group.

The best thing that could happen is no merger. If it has to happen, United looks like a much better partner to me.

The government isn't going to rubber stamp this thing like the greedy managers think and it's going to be a bitch for the employees. I hated the -9 when I worked at NWA and certainly don't want to see it at DL.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back