Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

328dude

Still turning two
I thought I would start a thread on what all you new hires can expect once you are given a class date at SWA. This is based on my own experinces since I have been here for 6 weeks and thought I would pass some "good to know" info along to all of you in the pool.

1. Most likely, you will be staying at the Holiday Inn Select ( http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/sl/1/en/hotel/dalwm?_requestid=529439) when you arrive. Your hotel reservation will be from the day prior to the start of class untill your completion date. You do not need to check out if you leave for a weekend, but just let the housekeepers now if you do. The hotel is very accomodating. The above website list's the services they provide such as laundry and free internet access (WiFi in the rooms).

2. The hotel does have it's own restaurant, but you will grow tired of the same old thing after awhile. This is why it's a nice idea to have some sort of transportation while you are here. During lunch while in GS, you can eat at HDQ or drive to some local joints. I suggest Dickie's BBQ. There are also a few supermarkets around (a QuikTrip next door) for the essentials, but again, some wheels come in real handy. There is a microwave and a small fridge in each room. Also, one last note of advice. You will check in on a Tues. Your room key will expire each Tues. Make sure you get your key reset before heading up the elevator on each Tues or find that your key no longer works and you have to lug yourself all the way back down to the front desk. Can't count how many times I did this.

3. They new hire class prior to you will throw a party for you the night prior to your class date. This usually takes place around 6pm and is on the second floor of the hotel. The hotel will give you the details once you check in. You don't have to attend, but it's a good idea to meet your fellow classmates and others in training.

4. You can bring your spouse or significant other the first 2 days of class. This gives them a chance to see what SWA is all about and also learn all the benefits stuff as well. They will be with you the first day, and will be taken on a tour of the complex for most of the second day. They will have fun.

5. Once you start class, you will find out who your sim partner will be. You will be paired with a military guy/gal or vice versa. This is done to allow for a even balance of experience. It tends to work out good as you help each other through things you have or not have seen before (FMC, 121 ops etc etc).

6. There is a uniform shop at the training center at which time you will be fitted and your order placed. You will be fitted as well for your leather jacket, but this is not a required item. Keep in mind I haven't seen anyone without one. There are diffrent fabrics and linings to choose, but the more experinced guys would be helpful in this area on which one works best. You can also order your flight case if you need one.

7. First two days of class are business suit. The rest is casual such as Dockers or jeans. Something comfortable is a must.

8. If you have a 2 inch Jeppeson Binder, you might want to bring that to put your FOM in. It will fit in your flight case a bit easier then the issued one. Also bring a flashlight which is a required item for your case. (Hint: You will use it in the sims).

9. The instructors are great and make your experience here very easy. After about 3 weeks, you will find out where your temporary domicile will be. You can bid them by preference, but don't count on getting what you want. This is not your permanant domicile award. After you complete IOE, you will then be given a hard line month at either the same domicile or a diffrent, such as my case, and a line of flying. (19 days off for me in Jan) After this month, you will then be awarded your domicile for the remainder until you can bid to where you want to. It sounds confusing, but the training department folks will explain this all to you in more detail once you arrive. The junior base for newhires is OAK.

10. Once your new hire kit arrives, study the limitations, memory items and flows. Having a good grasp on this material will really help while your in the first few weeks of ground school. I can't stress that enough. The training center is open 24 hours so you can go in and practice these things at any time. There will also be instructions in the packet on what to bring with you for your first day. Make sure you have all the stuff signed that is required. It makes the process easier for you and the staff, who are wonderful by the way.

11. Each class has it's own schedule, so I'm not sure if you will get weekends off or not. My class had one full weekend off the entire 6 weeks of ground school. I wouldn't bet that you will be able to get home each week, so make sure you prepare for that possibility.

That's about all for now. If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them or somebody else more experinced will.

Last edited:
You will be fitted as well for your leather jacket, but this is not a required item. Keep in mind I haven't seen anyone without one. There are diffrent fabrics and linings to choose, but the more experinced guys would be helpful in this area on which one works best. You can also order your flight case if you need one.

don't order the zip out linner - its a waste of money.

I tried to study before hand, it was too hard to do. It went in one ear and out the other. I did my type years earlier so if you go in cold turkey you still will be okay. Once you are there there is always one smart dude that will make you feel like you are a slacker, that was motivation enough for me.

Do not break anything at the new hire party on the Tuesday. Drink all you want but show up on time the next day. If the significant other can come please bring them it was a great experience.

Find someone with a digital camera and make them your friend. Offer to buy CD's for them to copy all the pictures of the experience at the end. It is a good deal to share all the photos.

If you have SWA Buddies invite them to your new hire party. It is a very cool way to bringing you in. They helped you get hired so raise one to Herb.

If you have to go home, go, however if you can bring the significant other out one more time, it gives you less travel time home and gives them a break from the same old at home.

You are going to make it through with a good attitude. Check the ego at the door, put down the last call sign and have fun. Everyone there was a somebody someplace else.

Be nice to Gloria she can help. Enjoy.

Also bring a flashlight which is a required item for your case. (Hint: You will use it in the sims).

Flashlight???

Thats what the OPC is for. You look really cool doing a morning walkaround with that thing...

Buy the liner for the jacket, AM MHT in January at -20F with 25 knots of wind, need I say more?

If you are hoping to be based in MDW, totally get the zip out liner!

One more thing to prepare for before class: build up your tolerance beforehand! :beer:

I think someone mentioned it before, but be nice to Glo. She will be your den mother while you're in DAL. If nobody else can answer your question, Glo can. Or she'll find someone who can.

There are no attitudes at SWA, so please don't bring yours.

Don't sweat the sim, the instructors are great.

Knowing your flows, memory items and limitations before you show up will help, but it is not neccessary.

Above all else, hurry and get through training so I can get off reserve!!!!

Latest resources

Back