Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
seefive said:
here's a solution too. Close Love.

Enigma......you're out to lunch........and i'm only half kidding.

SWA knew the deal when they started. Wright or Wrong, it's the deal. It won't be changed.
seefive, what if you get your way and SWA cleans AA's clock out at good old Dfingdubya? What happens to AA if they loose a majority of their long haul continental business to SWA? I can imagine that SWA will take on the characteristics of a rabid dog if they are forced to leave Love. If I were GK, and I was forced to use DFW, I'd come go there with the intent to scorch the earth. AA would find themselves begging the citizens of the metroplex for a few crumbs from under that table. BTW, I'm not advocating that SWA do this, it's just what I think could happen if they are forced to move.

uuuuhhhhhh, SWA started flying about five years BEFORE the WA, so I have a hard time agreeing that SWA "knew the deal when they started".

My work is never done.

enigma

enigma said:
I seem to remember this discussion being about long haul, versus short haul. ;)

enigma

I'd be willing to bet that TUL to DAL is considered "Short Haul". Conversly I'd define DFW to NRT as "Long Haul". Hub and spoke are real airline operations, and have been sucessful long before ole Herb sucked on his first cigar.

Did you have a particular question or comment to make?

erj145mech, and most of the rest of you. If you want to win a debate, it helps to walk away from emotion and personal feelings. Most of you obviously don't care for SWA and it shows in your posts. If all you want to do, is show your hard on for SWA, you'll succeed. If you want to make your point, or convince others to join you, making emotional based arguments is not your best tactic.

enigma

btw, you boys are about as easily drawn out, as is General Lee on all subjects Delta.

erj-145mech said:
Did you have a particular question or comment to make?
I must have made some impact, whether it be a comment or an implication, because it seems to have drawn you out. If I had no comment, why did you reply?

Actually, I don't like insincere and/or self serving arguments. My intent with this thread was to point out that most of the pro WA crowd is just that. Thanks for your "ol Herb" comment. You're making my point.

enigma

enigma said:
If I had no comment, why did you reply?
enigma

I wasn't sure if there was an embedded question in there, and I couldn't see it.

I'm not anti-Southwest, I love your TV show by the way, I have never flown on WN. It tweekes my nerves though when a company, any company, tries to circumvent a law to gain an unfair advantage in a competitive market.

Perhaps the City of Dallas should elect Richard Daley as the mayor, and he can bulldoze the runways at Love at midnight?

It's not about me getting my way. It's about what is going to happen. And that's nothing. SWA will be forced to stay at Love with the WA or go to DFW. If they come to DFW and crush AA, so be it. That would be fair. To change the rules at Love with SWA's virtual monopoly there wouldn't be.

ERJ-Hub and spoke airlines are real airlines? How about BR airlines. You also must me upset with AA and the rest of the legacy carries for trying to circumvent the law by asking congress to change pension funding so that they also may get a competitve advantage, else they just turn it over to the taxpayers. The WA was just one in many attempts to ground SWA, we survived to the dismay of many. We can't shut down AA at DFW nor would we try, but we can compete out of DAL even if AA wants to play over here. Neither airline wants to go head to head, but if they must they would rather do it in thier own backyard. The DFW board, just wants the money, money they have already spent.

Enigma,
You assume that because some believe SWA shouldn't be allowed to change the rules means we don't like SWA. SWA is just trying to get a competitive advantage. I do like SWA. I admire the management and enjoy flying on the airline (which i do regularly). I assume you like SWA too. I'm sure you'd love to have a job there as well.

OffHot said:
Enigma doens't work for us?
No I don't. But not for the lack of trying.

I'm first and foremost a fan of anything Texan. SWA is more Texas than AA (darned carpetbaggers), therefore I support SWA. Not actually true (the carpetbagger part:D), I'm pretty proud that Texas is home to three of the best run airlines in the world. In this matter of the WA, my position comes from my firm belief that forcing all traffic into DFW is shortsighted. I've posted before, my belief that the metroplex can support and will require more than one major airport. It doesn't make any sense to me, to try and stop a the inevitable, so I think that the metroplex area politicians should get ahead of the game and plan for the future. A future that obviously needs more runways and terminals. Dallas Love is existant. Save money and keep it. I firmly believe that were we to close down Love, it would be less than a decade before the politicians were beating the drums for a bond issue to build another airport.

My "solution" is mostly tongue in cheek, but I do find it quite disengenuos that supporters of the WA, DFW, and AA want to restrict SWA to short haul only (from the metroplex) while they run full airplanes to those short haul destinations. And, I'm slightly bored, they are so easy to tweek. Obviously, they are taking business away from SWA, wheres the fairness in that? Tongue back in cheek again for that last shot:)

enigma

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back