Soloed ... finally!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

polysciguy9

Just wanted to share my excitment at having finally soloed today. I had twice started working on my private before and had to stop both times right before solo due to issues with my medical. So this was my second time flying with the new FBO I'm with (having moved since my last attempts). At 22.2 hours, I finally got the call to solo today. The day started off a little strange in that my instructor called in sick, so I had another instructor who's quickly approaching 80 years old and 225lbs step in. I was a little concerned about weight, seeing as how we were squeezing into a 152 (I'm 165lbs), when I quickly realized I should have been more concerned with space. The few runs I did in the pattern were a bit stressful since the instructor was having me turn to downwind a bit closer to the runway than I would have liked, and kept telling me my nose wasn't aligned with the runway when I'm quite certain it was. One time ATC instructed me to extend my downwind after I began my base turn, so I proceeded to turn to the left to compensate for being too close to the runway. The instructor scolded me for doing so and I continued on course. Not long after, ATC asked what I was doing by turning into the path of traffic on final. Should have done a better job of communicating to him my perception of our position.

So finally the instructor hops out (I haven't dropped 225 pounds that fast since I broke up with my last girlfirend ... kidding!) and all of a sudden the stress was gone. I had so much dual time, that I felt confident (but not too confident) and by myself, everything was way more relaxed. I nailed the first landing, ballooned and bounced a bit on the second (perhaps still adjusting to the weight change) and had a pretty good third one.

Anyways, thanks for sharing in my excitement - it was a good day indeed.

congrats, its a good feeling and it will never feel like that again on any other solos. i remember mine like it was yesterday....

there i was, bottom of the ninth, bases loaded....o wait wrong story

at first i was kinda nervous but excited at the same time. i wasnt sure if i was ready or even knew what i was doing. nextthing i know im in the middle of it having fun and feelin good......next thing i know, its over

kinda like the first time you get layed

225 lbs and 80 years old though, huh? I thought old people are supposed to shrink... well you probably didn't have to wedge your hand into his gut fat to dig out the trim wheel, but I've read/heard horror stories.

Kudos on the solo!

MFR

Congrats as well! You'll always remember the day of your first solo, probably above anything else you do in aviation!

I just soloed a student last weekend, and it's always so fulfilling for the instructor-side of me, to see the excitement and accomplishment a student feels when they solo for the first time!

Good luck with the rest of your training!

MFRskyknight said:
225 lbs and 80 years old though, huh? I thought old people are supposed to shrink... well you probably didn't have to wedge your hand into his gut fat to dig out the trim wheel, but I've read/heard horror stories.

Was barely able to get to the trim wheel, but I won't tell you how long it took him to squeeze out of the aicraft when he got out to let me solo. Let's just say that I had to open MY door to help him get out, and the whole process probably cost me $10 in tach time.

Many thanks for the kind words fellas!

Polysci - congratulations. Enjoy the wonderful feeling of knowing how you are alone with the plane, the sky, that you have what it takes to leave it all behind you when you just want to get away....

Latest resources

Back