• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sokol Resigns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with you, IF he didn't tell Berkshire Hathaway he had purchased the shares. If he did tell them beforehand, where would the ethical lapse be?

I was in a crappy mood when I original posted and didn't mean it to come off quite the way I wrote it. At that point, my wife was telling me again that she is right "ten times out of eight".

We may be hung up a bit on what is ethical versus being legal.

In any event, brokeflyer said it better than I did. The fact he bought shares and suggested that BH make a run at the company is where the problem lies. It makes no difference whether he told them he bought the shares or not, the appearance of making a buck at this level by suggesting a buy or sell is enough to cause problems. He may not be a insider according to the SEC rules..but he is in a position to influence.

Put another way, if you were his pilot, his accountant, barber, etc and bought the shares and told him to make a run at the company, no problem. You would not be deemed to be in a position to influence BH. Sokol is and that is the rub.

The fact is that this matter will just go away as they usually do. Personally I think Warren gave him the boot for being a dummy. I doubt that Buffett even paid any attention to the comment at that initial meeting, but would have if Sokol reminded him once things heated up that he owned shares.

I was in a crappy mood when I original posted and didn't mean it to come off quite the way I wrote it. At that point, my wife was telling me again that she is right "ten times out of eight".

We may be hung up a bit on what is ethical versus being legal.

In any event, brokeflyer said it better than I did. The fact he bought shares and suggested that BH make a run at the company is where the problem lies. It makes no difference whether he told them he bought the shares or not, the appearance of making a buck at this level by suggesting a buy or sell is enough to cause problems. He may not be a insider according to the SEC rules..but he is in a position to influence.

Put another way, if you were his pilot, his accountant, barber, etc and bought the shares and told him to make a run at the company, no problem. You would not be deemed to be in a position to influence BH. Sokol is and that is the rub.

The fact is that this matter will just go away as they usually do. Personally I think Warren gave him the boot for being a dummy. I doubt that Buffett even paid any attention to the comment at that initial meeting, but would have if Sokol reminded him once things heated up that he owned shares.

When my wife gets in a crappy mood, she gets on Facebook and starts firing EVERYBODY up. My point is, if Sokol originally told Berkshire that he had already purchased shares, there is absolutely NO ethical lapse, not even an appearance of one. If he didn't tell them originally, there was a lapse. Cheers!

When my wife gets in a crappy mood, she gets on Facebook and starts firing EVERYBODY up. My point is, if Sokol originally told Berkshire that he had already purchased shares, there is absolutely NO ethical lapse, not even an appearance of one. If he didn't tell them originally, there was a lapse. Cheers!

you dont get it.

He bought shares then manipulated the system to his own adavantage with information the rest of world didnt have.

You need to wake up that brain of yours, I can't explain it any easier than that.

It is fine to have this view, but I believe that one would be ignoring the true spirit of how one should conduct themselves in this situation. He should have sold the stock prior to informing WB about the company and the opportunities that may exist for BH.

Sokol said on CNBC he regrets ever mentioning the company to WB. He pushed the envelope too far and lost his job because of it. Was it worth the $3 million?... I don't think so.

Ethical, legal, or whatever, I doubt many people, who consider themselves ethical, would attempt this maneuver in the future.

G4Dude -

If everything was fine and above board, why isn't he here anymore?

Wake up man.

Not according to the BH ethics handbook.

And we know that's the final arbiter of everything.....

Just use BH and ethics in the same sentence and you have a sure formula/recipe for a good joke.

Latest resources

Back