Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilot_Ryan

Tiller Twirler
Fellas, I am not sure how in the hell this happened, but here's my situ.

Got my HS-125 type in June of 2005. Had a 25 hr. SOE at the time of issuance because it was my first type. At the time my training director and I flew the 25 hours and he gave me a signoff. We called the local FSDO and we faxed them that info.

My memory of this event, four years later, is hazy from this point. But what it boils down to is my ATP cert. still says, after all this time, "LIMITATIONS: THIS CERTIFICATE IS SUBJECT TO PILOT-IN-COMMAND LIMITATION FOR HS-125."

Well, if you fast forward from then 'til now, I have logged over 1100 hours of PIC time in Hawkers but I have had that limitation on there the whole time. I have no idea how I managed to completely forget about this but it came up when I was at FlightSafety in Wichita, and they caught it.

Question: how to fix with no pain? I can't find the letter that my training director wrote back in the day (although I think he'd reproduce it for me if I asked). We both sat through this process back in 2005 and what I *think* happened is some random inspector at the FSDO told us that if I had the 25 hours logged that my limitation no longer applied. I am sure this is incorrect in retrospect.

Am I at risk of being in violation for flying ('acting as' PIC) in the meantime? This has all been pt. 91. What I'm thinking about is maybe ignoring the issue of the last four years, taking a single piece of paper showing 25 recent hours signed off by my current training director (who's down with helping out) and asking to have the limitation removed that way.

Anyway... hell... don't know how in the world I overlooked this all this time, but I did. Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
It's been a LONG time since I have looked at that issue, but as I recall, once you have logged the 25 hrs you take in the paperwork/letter to the FSDO and they re-issue you a new temp certificate without the limitation.

Even though 4 years has passed, I suspect you can still do that.

why couldn't you show FSI your time and they issue a new cert?

Also, I would look up any AC that deals with this and get the info from there.

Correct, FSI can't just remove an SOE limitation. We can remove an "SIC required" limitation for single pilot airplanes (Like the BE300/SIC required) by completing another certification checkride with the pilot acting as a single pilot but the FAA needs to remove the SOE.

When I had the SOE removed from my BE300 type all I did was go to the FSDO and show an inspector my logbook verifying 25 hours and signed an 8710 and that was it but that was 10 years ago so it may have changed.

PS - have you searched yourself on the FAA website to see if the FAA actually has the limitation on the license still?? Is it possible that you just didn't get the new license in the mail?? The FAA uses an outside contractor in Oke City to actually print the license and mail it.... they (the contractor) have been known to have processing problems before.

What does SOE stand for? I'm not familiar with that one.

What jehtpilot said.

Basically, there are minimum flight experience requirements that must be met in order for training vendors to issue type-rides in the sim. Failure to meet those requirements results in having that limitation attached until such time as you meet the SOE requirement in the aircraft.

Call the FSDO and ask them what you need, It depends on the FSDO, A new 8710 must be issued. no big deal how longs its been, Its up the the examiner on what he needs to prove that you have flown 25 in the left seat.
Mine was caught when I applied for the check airman on the G3

Latest resources

Back