Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So where does the next generation come from???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well the problem is that whose in high school, and often college aviation programs like ERAU and UND for that matter, looking to become a pilot, usually do not care about the pay. Its the typical "I do not care what I will get paid, flying jets is my dream and if I am flying, that is all it will take to be happy. I do not think I can do anything with my life but fly" blah blah blah, we have all seen and read the types.

Those types are a big problem, because they literally will fly for free, or pay to fly at places like Gulfstream. And because being the single minded flying or nothing else types that they are, they have no other skill set to make money will, so they are more apt to eat the proverbial shiite sandwich rather than tell managements to pound sand.

Niiiice signature, hahaha.

Yeah, goofing on the chemtrail nuts has been a hobby of nice since 2000 :)

The question I have is this..........
1. If the military is not producing the pilots, General aviation pilot starts are way down, and now in summation we need much more "flight time" to get a flying job.......... Where and what is the pipeline to get the right candidates ???? not right this minute but in the future

notice I am not disputing the assessment, I am asking for the realistic answer.........[/QUOTE]

I would also disagree with the above statement regarding military pilots. I know plenty that would jump at the chance to go to a major if it was possible and there was hiring going on. However, I think less now would make that transition than say 10 years ago. Pay isn't as good as it used to be in the civilian sector and the military benefits are hard to beat when comparing to starting at Xyz airline.

In addition, the Navy has recently (approx 8 years ago) lengthened the commitement for pilots after earning their wings. It used to be easy to finish up a 2nd flying tour and then be current to apply for a civilian flying job. Nowadays with the longer commitement, many have to take a 3rd tour (after their shore flying tour) - which by the way are mostly non flying orders to fulfill their commitement. This would present recency of experience as a problem when applying for a flying job.

I love all the Econ professors here that have totally forgot where our money comes from. We collectively bargain. We do NOT individually bargain. Our power comes through our unions- and yet a majority of us (growing smaller) vote for people who do not believe in unions and try to take away any leverage we have had. You want to find the cause of the race to the bottom? Check your politics, look in the mirror and ask if you really have supported your union.

Don't forget there are 1000's of experienced pilots sitting on the sidelines waiting for employment. Probably 1000's more U.S. citizens sitting in Dubai, Tokyo, and other foreign places that would love to come home to America and fly.

Thousands!? I would find it hard to believe there are even a total of one thousand [1000].

Age 65 is going to be a brick wall. I think a guy like Prater might try to pull some age waiver stunt that might help his own fat butt, however it aint going to work. If there are "thousands" of pilots abroad, when the need arises to hire here in the US I think the overseas jobs will be the first to pay more to keep the pilots.

What's great is, the old guys are just going to get old. That's it. For those of us who are younger and have solid experience there will be a rising tide the older boomers will be excluded from.

I love all the Econ professors here that have totally forgot where our money comes from. We collectively bargain. We do NOT individually bargain. Our power comes through our unions- and yet a majority of us (growing smaller) vote for people who do not believe in unions and try to take away any leverage we have had. You want to find the cause of the race to the bottom? Check your politics, look in the mirror and ask if you really have supported your union.

Waveflyer, excellent point. You said it very well. And, I apologize for the thread creep, but I believe the Republican party despises labor and unions, and the Democratic party doesn't fight for labor or unions. I mean, really; labor is out there pi$$ing in the wind in this new era. There is no labor party in this nation.

Last edited:
Suppose you were all 64 years old. Would you really care where the next generation would come from?

All the folks here care about is how the future generation will affect THEM. They are looking for some validation that they didn't make a horrible career choice. Too bad, you did. Regardless of what the future pilots do or don't do, the likelyhood of the Golden Age of Aviation ever returning is ZERO.

Show me another industry where it has happened.

Forget about future improvements to the industry and work on present improvements to yourself and leave this lousy industry to reap what it has sown without you.

Waveflyer, excellent point. You said it very well. And, I apologize for the thread creep, but I believe the Republican party despises labor and unions, and the Democratic party doesn't fight for labor or unions. I mean, really; labor is out there pi$$ing in the wind in this new era. There is no labor party in this nation.

The Democratic Party gave the UAW Chrysler and GM. How's that workin' out for them?

Probably 1000's more U.S. citizens sitting in Dubai, Tokyo, and other foreign places that would love to come home to America and fly.

I can only speak for myself but I have no interest in going back and take such a dramatic pay cut

The Democratic Party gave the UAW Chrysler and GM. How's that workin' out for them?

I would gladly accept the same terms the UAW was given over what the ATSB was used to do to airline labor.

You want to know a good example of an industry that has clawed it's way back: Rail. That is who we need to attach ourlselves to. Do exactly what rail workers have done and we will either be out of the RLA, or have a more solid future under it.

Latest resources

Back