So what's next at ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crash Pad said:
The mediator will park us long enough for SKYW to replace us. Look around people. SKYW is hiring 70 a month for aircraft they don't have. The aircraft are going to come from ASA.

SKYW pilots make far more than ASA pilots. Knowing that you can now understand the end game. SKYW is breaking the Unions... don't forget if management settled with us the FA's are right behind us for a new contract.

So you can run around screaming about burning it down. You can take a paycut (and make even less than SKYW). You can do nothing. The result is the same. You will be furloughed or working at an airline with 100 50 seat aircraft. No upgrade, Pay cut for the senior guys, and no movement.

Skywest is hiring 70 for the next few months because they have had attrition each month in the range of 20-25, migrating to other airlines. In addition, due to the depeaking of SFO and LAX by United, additional frequency and flying opportunities have been created. There is more flying for Skywest using the same number of airplanes but more pilots.

pilotnbr1 said:
"Our 50 seat pilots are lowest paid in the industry."

Speedtape you might want to check your numbers. We are far from the bottom for 50 seat pay for captains and have one of the best rates in the industry for first officers.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Mesa.

Please keep in mind that the CNC is asking for what we tell them we want. So far I have participated in two Wilson polls, and I have told them that I want a raise and I want a descent retirement, trip and duty rigs, and I am willing to strike over it. Personally I am very pleased with the CNC and the MEC because they are doing what I ask. Now if you don't want what I want, when the Wilson center calls you tell them. Just remember, majority rules and 92% of my peers evidently think like I do.

crjskipper said:
There will not be a strike.

The issue is we have been parked by the mediator because he is pissed at the union. Hoser and John will tell me Im nuts, but you do the math. 4 years of negotiating and after last week we are indefinately recessed again. The mediator has every right to release us if he feels it is due. The union is simply too far from realistic to release us. Unless the company capitulates even further to a large degree (unlikely) we will be parked for many months.

Dont get me wrong - the latest proposal from the company should have been offered in back in january, not now. But the union moves 25 cents from 13 percent raises, refuses to budge from no furlough and retirement and wont consider pbs.

We can spin it all we want and make this a great victory for union rights. Our mec will spin this in the lounge as the company offer was nothing not to be taken seriously. They will say the mediator is angry at the company. There will be no strike in the next 6 months, if that. The mediator wont go down that path if he thinks the union is being unrealistic.

In one week we will hit 4 years - there will be picketing, one or two stations will offer coverage and things will go back to normal.

The mec needs to wake up.

Well said skipper!

Speedtape said:
Skywest is hiring 70 for the next few months because they have had attrition each month in the range of 20-25, migrating to other airlines. In addition, due to the depeaking of SFO and LAX by United, additional frequency and flying opportunities have been created. There is more flying for Skywest using the same number of airplanes but more pilots.

ASA has not hired one pilot in months. We don't have attrition? ASA deep sixed the training department. The reason we aren't replacing for attrition is because SKYW is replacing us. They are hiring for our attrition.

What would it take for this pilot group to understand that Union busting is something management loves to do? We have two unions SKYW would love to get rid of.. Us and the FA's. Would SKYW have to walk over one day with 1800 pilots and take all the aircraft at once? All the signs point to a dismantling.

SKYW pilots make more than us. So there is nothing we can do. Jerry has come to break the Union and that is what he is going to do.

Speedtape said:
RJSkipper (SH),

Our 50 seat pilots are lowest paid in the industry. Our 70 seat pilots are paid near the low middle of the industry. The 50 seat pilots have not had a raise in 4 years and the 70 seat pilots have not had a raise in 3 years. The cost of living has been close to 3% a year for the last 3 or 4 years. ASA made record profits with a 13% return. The UNION (the ASA pilots in whole) are not being unrealistic.

See you in the crew lounge, LOSER!

Correction, our 50 seat Capt. rates are low. The rest of our rates look like they are near the top already. The company needs to come up some on the 50 seat captain rates, but the rest of the rates look fine to me.

pilotnbr1 said:
"Our 50 seat pilots are lowest paid in the industry."

Speedtape you might want to check your numbers. We are far from the bottom for 50 seat pay for captains and have one of the best rates in the industry for first officers.

Our current FO rates look like they are some of the best out there except for Horizon.

outtahere said:
Please keep in mind that the CNC is asking for what we tell them we want. So far I have participated in two Wilson polls, and I have told them that I want a raise and I want a descent retirement, trip and duty rigs, and I am willing to strike over it. Personally I am very pleased with the CNC and the MEC because they are doing what I ask. Now if you don't want what I want, when the Wilson center calls you tell them. Just remember, majority rules and 92% of my peers evidently think like I do.

Is what we are asking for reasonable considering what other regional pilot groups get?

ASADriver said:
Correction, our 50 seat Capt. rates are low. The rest of our rates look like they are near the top already. The company needs to come up some on the 50 seat captain rates, but the rest of the rates look fine to me.

So if the company really wanted to get this done, why have they not offered us a reasonable raise on the 50 seat rates? 1.6% and their later 0.25% bump is not what I would call reasonable.

Yes, our FO rates are good compared to the rest of the industry. However, that is due to the rest of the industry caving on the FO rates and not making them 60% of the Capt. rates. There is no reason why ASA FOs should take a lesser percentage than the 60% standard, especially with the not-so-short upgrade time here.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back