So what's next at ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

IFLYASA

So the mediator suspended any future sessions. The union is getting ready for a strike simulation. So exactly where do we go from here? It seems to me the mediator has the control. Who's to say he'll just sit for another year? When is he able to give us our cooling off period? If management really wanted to get the contract finished, they would offer the pilot's something we are willing to take. A .26$ raise? An averaged trip duty rig? C'mon, this won't cut it.

ASA is being downsized and replaced one plane at a time. We are being replaced.

Oh and the contract. You are learning what I have been trying to explain. The Union has little to no power. Labor has been beaten across the country it was only a matter of time before it happened at the airlines.

This is not happening. I will not let it happen. My seniority would go into the toilet.

A failed business model

Any enterprise that utilizes a business model premised on the exploitation of its employees does not deserve to stay in business.

Unfortunately, all of the regionals have used, or are being forced to use such an approach. I'm fed up with it. I have another career - it's just not as enjoyable as flying. Anyway, I'll continue to ride this sinking ship just to take as much of their money as I can before it tanks and I have to go back to the drudgery of a real job.

Well it seems to me we need to fast forward our strike if nothing can be resolved. This bullsh!t game needs to end somewhere. Basically the quality of life sucks at ASA and that is no secret, so lets do something about it. Vote passed about 93% in favor. What is the issue?

There will not be a strike.

The issue is we have been parked by the mediator because he is pissed at the union. Hoser and John will tell me Im nuts, but you do the math. 4 years of negotiating and after last week we are indefinately recessed again. The mediator has every right to release us if he feels it is due. The union is simply too far from realistic to release us. Unless the company capitulates even further to a large degree (unlikely) we will be parked for many months.

Dont get me wrong - the latest proposal from the company should have been offered in back in january, not now. But the union moves 25 cents from 13 percent raises, refuses to budge from no furlough and retirement and wont consider pbs.

We can spin it all we want and make this a great victory for union rights. Our mec will spin this in the lounge as the company offer was nothing not to be taken seriously. They will say the mediator is angry at the company. There will be no strike in the next 6 months, if that. The mediator wont go down that path if he thinks the union is being unrealistic.

In one week we will hit 4 years - there will be picketing, one or two stations will offer coverage and things will go back to normal.

The mec needs to wake up.

Lets set a record for how long a contract can be open. Then we'll make the Guiness book, and possibly get some free Guiness. That would be worth it.

crjskipper said:
There will not be a strike.

The issue is we have been parked by the mediator because he is pissed at the union. Hoser and John will tell me Im nuts, but you do the math. 4 years of negotiating and after last week we are indefinately recessed again. The mediator has every right to release us if he feels it is due. The union is simply too far from realistic to release us. Unless the company capitulates even further to a large degree (unlikely) we will be parked for many months.

Dont get me wrong - the latest proposal from the company should have been offered in back in january, not now. But the union moves 25 cents from 13 percent raises, refuses to budge from no furlough and retirement and wont consider pbs.

We can spin it all we want and make this a great victory for union rights. Our mec will spin this in the lounge as the company offer was nothing not to be taken seriously. They will say the mediator is angry at the company. There will be no strike in the next 6 months, if that. The mediator wont go down that path if he thinks the union is being unrealistic.

In one week we will hit 4 years - there will be picketing, one or two stations will offer coverage and things will go back to normal.

The mec needs to wake up.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I would expect a pansy management shill who's too afraid to fight for a better contract for fear of losing his $60K a year hot shot RJ captain job to say.

You're right. The union lost. Time to call Brian and settle this thing. Tell the MEC crjskipper said so.

Take your medication Johny. Im no management shill, and Im not in danger of losing my job, not for a long time at least. I dont like managements tactics - but I see a bigger picture than you. But Im not surprized, your skills are limited to attacking opinions you dont like.

I dont and never have wanted to fold. But Im not happy with out mec either and feel right now that they are much further from the end game than the company.

Try to reply without attacking or throwing the management line. I know that will be hard but do your best.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back