So what is the New Skywest pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its funny to me...

All these people calling SkyWest pilots Kool Aid drinkers. It is hilarious.

You all try to validate your points by saying things like "SkyWest is making lots of money", "Your happy pilot group is oblivious", "You don't see enough of the profits", "SkyWest is losing many Captains to other carriers", etc...

I agree with two of those points. I wish the pilots did see more of the profits. In EVERY airline.
...It just shows more clearly in one of the only airlines bringing in the cash and not teetering on two quarters of positive movement into the black.

SkyWest is doing well as an airline... Is this bad? What is ALPA's or any other "haters" goal for an airline. To NOT do well financially? Oh... If a company can do it without ALPA then ALPA can't dip their hand in the profit. ALPA is becoming obselete, but fortunately the goals of career pilots are not. This angers people riding the sinking ship.

Rather than accept the fact that the industry is on an upswing and be happy that pay, work rules, and all the other "perks" that ALPA and the other carriers gave up years ago are finally coming back and consider it a GOOD thing, you try to bad mouth the airlines that are doing it! It shows real ignorance to bad mouth a carrier with a majority of happy pilots, growing networks, good work rules and decent morale... when that is what you are supposed to be ADVOCATING!

And SkyWest pilots leaving to other carriers is bad, or proof of something?... Its proof of no more than SkyWest's position in the industry (a REGIONAL CARRIER!!). Any pilot with career ambitions should be happy that there is finally a movement back to the legacies and other major carriers. Movement from an "express" carrier to mainline should be praised, not twisted into a bad thing. Get some friggin' ambition if you are mad that SkyWest and other regional airlines should not be retirement options and base their business models on turn over. Every single one does... Pinnacle, ASA, Comair, SkyWest, Colgan, Mesa, TSA, Republic... ALL OF THEM!

Of course SkyWest has lots of people leaving... They have lots of people PERIOD. Big airline means lots of coming and going.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?! Other than you may not be happy with YOUR choice. Envy is a bad thing. I guess I should expect it from a majority of Shiny Jet Syndrome s### talkers. But, it still saddens me that people can be so hypocritical and ignorant. I'm envious of the Southwest captain's paycheck and quality of life... But you don't see me talking trash. I just keep raising my standards and working towards them. For ALL of us!!

I personally am glad to see carriers like Southwest, SkyWest, Frontier, Republic (believe it or not an ALPA carrier!!) who have good leadership and a good workforce being able to grow while keeping their people relatively happy.

What is the problem? An exciting time in the industry is coming. Lots of opportunities for pilots. We need to make the most of them, not be envious and critical about those that have what we want.

GET OVER IT!! AND STOP BEING STUPID!!

... an edit...

The pay does need to increase at SkyWest. As it does at many airlines.
First year at SkyWest is among the worst in the industry. Starting there would be only a start.

But a month after a union drive being enough time to up the payscale? It would be nice if that could happen, but also unrealistic. Personally, I am looking 5-6 months out for progress at SkyWest before I start questioning things.

Things need get much better in LOTS of areas. At SkyWest and every other airline. No pilot denies this. There are just varied ideas about it. Some like to blame others for the position they are in. Interesting...

Last edited:
Its funny to me...

You all try to validate your points by saying things like "SkyWest is making lots of money", "Your happy pilot group is oblivious", "You don't see enough of the profits", "SkyWest is losing many Captains to other carriers", etc...

I agree with two of those points. I wish the pilots did see more of the profits. In EVERY airline.
...It just shows more clearly in one of the only airlines bringing in the cash and not teetering on two quarters of positive movement into the black.

SkyWest is doing well as an airline... Is this bad? What is ALPA's or any other "haters" goal for an airline. To NOT do well financially? Oh... If a company can do it without ALPA then ALPA can't dip their hand in the profit. ALPA is becoming obselete, but fortunately the goals of career pilots are not. This angers people riding the sinking ship.

Rather than accept the fact that the industry is on an upswing and be happy that pay, work rules, and all the other "perks" that ALPA and the other carriers gave up years ago are finally coming back and consider it a GOOD thing, you try to bad mouth the airlines that are doing it! It shows real ignorance to bad mouth a carrier with a majority of happy pilots, growing networks, good work rules and decent morale... when that is what you are supposed to be ADVOCATING!

And SkyWest pilots leaving to other carriers is bad, or proof of something?... Its proof of no more than SkyWest's position in the industry (a REGIONAL CARRIER!!). Any pilot with career ambitions should be happy that there is finally a movement back to the legacies and other major carriers. Movement from an "express" carrier to mainline should be praised, not twisted into a bad thing. Get some friggin' ambition if you are mad that SkyWest and other regional airlines should not be retirement options and base their business models on turn over. Every single one does... Pinnacle, ASA, Comair, SkyWest, Colgan, Mesa, TSA, Republic... ALL OF THEM!

Of course SkyWest has lots of people leaving... They have lots of people PERIOD. Big airline means lots of coming and going.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?! Other than you may not be happy with YOUR choice. Envy is a bad thing. I guess I should expect it from a majority of Shiny Jet Syndrome s### talkers. But, it still saddens me that people can be so hypocritical and ignorant. I'm envious of the Southwest captain's paycheck and quality of life... But you don't see me talking trash. I just keep raising my standards and working towards them. For ALL of us!!

I personally am glad to see carriers like Southwest, SkyWest, Frontier, Republic (believe it or not an ALPA carrier!!) who have good leadership and a good workforce being able to grow while keeping their people relatively happy.

What is the problem? An exciting time in the industry is coming. Lots of opportunities for pilots. We need to make the most of them, not be envious and critical about those that have what we want.

... an edit...

First year at SkyWest is among the worst in the industry. Starting there would be only a start.

But a month after a union drive being enough time to up the payscale? It would be nice if that could happen, but also unrealistic. Personally, I am looking 5-6 months out for progress at SkyWest before I start questioning things.

Things need get much better in LOTS of areas. At SkyWest and every other airline. No pilot denies this. There are just varied ideas about it. Some like to blame others for the position they are in. Interesting...

*yawn* More Skywest pilots' "buyers remorse".

Its funny to me...

... an edit...

"A month after a union drive being enough time to up the payscale?"

Hey smart guy...they had more than enough time to up the payscale before the union drive ever got started!!!!! There was never a reason or need to stop paying us COLA either!! Time to step away from your personal kool-aid dispenser!

btrthn5n5,

the zealots have not, do not, nor will they ever get it. there is no worthwhile discussion to be had with them. they honest to goodness would rather we were more like Comair. their tired old rants that are sure to chime in will serve to prove that to you even more. get to it boys!

nothing new here.

Once again, the biggest downward pressure on ASA 700 rates came from Mesa, PCL, Mesaba, and Mainline RJ rates at USAir, Delta, and NWA..... all ALPA carriers.....

After that comes the CMR and Skywest rates...... most of the downward pressure actually came from ALPA carriers, not Skywest......

Maybe the ALPA cheerleaders should spend more time trying to get the ALPA house in order before they go and chastise others for doing the same thing as the ALPA carriers are doing.....

How do some of you actually blame this whole mess on the Skywest pilots with a straight face?...

Good job btrthn5n5, you are now paired up with Joe Merchant and Skynation. This thread has potential now.

USA today had a full page article showing all the pilot groups that disagree with your bozo "we don't want to pay 2%" antics.

Whether you care to view the issue with clarity or not, you guys are flat out wrong and the industry is hurt by your actions.

Whether you care to view the issue with clarity or not, you guys are flat out wrong and the industry is hurt by your actions.

The industry is hurt by us bidding for flying within a brand.... we are all to blame for that, and ALPA has had a huge hand in creating this problem.....

The industry is hurt by us allowing puppy farms to turn out 121 pilots in 11 months..... ALPA hasn't done anything to put a stop to that.....

The industry is hurt by our inability to change employers and not go back to square one.... something other professions don't have to do.... ALPA has ignored this problem also...

The industry is hurt by all of us.... and by ALPA's total failure in these areas...... To blame the Skywest pilots shows that you aren't really ready to address the real causes..... The Skywest pilots aren't the problem..... Look in the mirror if you want to find the problem......

Latest resources

Back