• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So... What got you into dispatching?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had a buddy from HS move out to FMN and get a job with YV at the counter. He eventually moved over to flight following (YV was still a 135 carrier then) and talked me into moving to FMN. The only opening at the time was at the counter, so I did that in addition to the ramp for nearly a year until I was able to transfer to FF. It was a fun time.

Then the word came down from big brother that we'd have to transition to 121 ops so the company started sending us to school for our certs. Certainly won't complain about a free cert.

Did my 4 years in FMN until heading to RD in ICT for the next 8.5 years. I have to say that while I learned how to dispatch at YV, I learned HOW to dispatch at RD. Great place to beef up the ol resume. Then on to hopefully my final stop at SWA.

Have to say that I'm thankful that my friend talked me into making the move back in 94. Best move I've made.

Last edited:
Started slingin bags at Britt (HUF) while attending college(Aviation Admin)...nothing like pulling the power from a Metroliner with the prop spinning about 2 feet away while on a snow covered ramp...then worked ops at ORD for a year (Britt was 3rd largest carrier at ORD behind UA/AA), got a chance to work flight following back at HUFville and took it. Moved on to flight following positions for a couple of carriers that contracted out to UPS in SDF, and decided to get official and become a dispatcher. Cassette ATP course for the written, and then 8 fun filled hours (over 3 days after mid shifts) with the local FSDO for the practical. 2 months after that I was a dispatcher at ATA, and stayed until the bitter end. Moved up to the undiscovered vacation spot of America after that. 32 years in this biz, and 26 dispatching.....no matter what, it beats the heck out of TPS reports :)

I'm talking to a nut about pork chops in India

Only for lunch

I'm talking to a nut about pork chops in India

Better watch who you outsource lunch menu planning to! Remember, cell phone service with a smirk....

Growing up in Alaska, I always knew I wanted to get into aviation. In HS, I took a PP GS class and got my "learners permit". After 3 hours of sim, I proudly approached my Dad with my certificate and asked to use the plane for instruction. His reply was not only "NO" but "Hell NO"! :mad:

I was forced to abandon my dreams for a mechanical engineering degree. After 3 years in pursuit of that degree I changed my major to aviation and never looked back. (My parents didn't speak to me for a while.)

However having a degree and a DX license doesn't guarantee a job...especially in Alaska. My aviation career humbly began cleaning aircraft. From there, I was promoted to "biffy girl" <smurfette they called me> and then on to the ramp (I loved the ramp, had a ton of fun). From there, I was asked to move into ops where I became a FF and load planner...then was laid off. :(

I heard through the "grapevine" that a small carrier was hiring someone for a "pilot records clerk" and thought "Hey, I can do that". So I applied and got an interview. During the interview, the interviewers noticed I had a DX license and they asked me if I'd rather dispatch. The answer was not only "YES!" but "H.E.L.L. YES!" (Well not those exact words but you get the drift)

I spent a couple years there and moved to my current position. Fast forward 12 years and I'm still "waiting for my ship to come in". *sighs*

Latest resources

Back