So... What got you into dispatching?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OneBadLT123

I have noticed over the years that I have been asked this question multiple times. And as I sit and reflect I keep thinking it's been an interesting road here. I somewhat ended up being a dispatcher at the last minute in terms of my long term goals for the industry growing up.

I figured we all have some interesting stories. Never have a I met anyone who always thought "when I grow up, I want to be an airline dispatcher!"... Most people do not even know the position exists; even ones within the industry.

Growing up I always wanted to be a pilot since I was probably 4 years old. I fell in love with the airlines early and have always wanted to work in the industry. I ended up going to college and while getting my bachelors I did a lot of flight training on the side thinking once I graduate I will become a pilot. Well partly due to financial reasons, and the job outlook at the time I was starting to think maybe I should go a different direction. I really didn’t know how to approach it but all I wanted to do was get into the industry. For one of my elective classes we took a tour of the old (and I mean ooooold haha) NWA SOC. During the tour we met some NWA Dx'ers and got introduced to the SOC side of the airline. I immediately fell in love with it. The entire operation was just awesome. The atmosphere was just alive and full of activities. This was the real deal. Picture a college kid dreaming about airlines and hearing all kinds of stories but finally seeing it all piece together. My eyes were wide open.

The next semester I graduated and I asked my professor if he could contact the guys over at NWA to see if I could sit in with them and just sit back and watch how things are done. He gave me the contact info and told me to contact them. I promptly contacted them, did an interview and sat in with a couple guys for 2 days. I got to interact with MXC, and the NWA Met department and obviously with some domestic and international dispatchers. At that point I knew this is what I wanted to do and shortly thereafter I immediately went and got my ticket. The rest is history.

As I look back there are some things I learned about the industry; both good and bad. In the end though, I still think I have one of the coolest and unique jobs out there. We are probably one of the smallest groups percentage wise in the industry yet we have some of the most responsibilities and control. At the end of the day I can honestly sit back and say "my job is awesome". While growing up, I never knew it existed until right before graduation.

So, probably more than I really needed to type but lets hear some of your stories! How did you get into dispatching??

-OB

I enjoyed the life at the airlines and I have always liked working behind the scenes. I was working on the ramp and the airline I worked for at the time was offering a dispatch contract so I took it. I had no idea how involved it was and the jumpseating was a bonus. I love dispatching cant wait to get back to get. Flight Following is killing me

Stupidty.

But honestly I wanted to work in the operations of a airline when I was in school. Didnt know how or what I needed to do it so I forgot about it. 6 year later and Im in the Army sitting in my room watching tv. On comes a commercial for Aircraft dispatching and rekindled the thought of working in operations. How no clue when I signed up what it all entailed but knew I wanted to do it. Worked in the Army during the day and at night I went to class. That was the longest 3 months of my life. Really been lucky and in the right place in my career so I cant complain about the decision.

I couldn't find anything else. I got out of the Navy in 1992, and after 5 months of looking for a job without any success, I saw an advertisement in Private Pilot magazine (I think) for Sheffield School of Aeronautics and the dispatcher program. I thought if there was a certificate/license for it there would have to be jobs so I took the plunge.

Eighteen years, and too many jobs later, I wish I had made one less decision to quit a job and stayed at Continental Micronesia. Then I would still be gainfully employed, instead of having had 5 jobs since Thanksgiving 2005 and looking for a job again.

Too stupid to get a real job. Knew some dispatchers when I was a kid at Britt Airways in HUF, and, well, you get the picture.

Now, for better or worse, its all I know how to do as far as gainful employment.

Huf

Too stupid to get a real job. Knew some dispatchers when I was a kid at Britt Airways in HUF, and, well, you get the picture.

Now, for better or worse, its all I know how to do as far as gainful employment.

Bad role models at Britt....

Back before ACARS....

Started slingin bags at Britt (HUF) while attending college(Aviation Admin)...nothing like pulling the power from a Metroliner with the prop spinning about 2 feet away while on a snow covered ramp...then worked ops at ORD for a year (Britt was 3rd largest carrier at ORD behind UA/AA), got a chance to work flight following back at HUFville and took it. Moved on to flight following positions for a couple of carriers that contracted out to UPS in SDF, and decided to get official and become a dispatcher. Cassette ATP course for the written, and then 8 fun filled hours (over 3 days after mid shifts) with the local FSDO for the practical. 2 months after that I was a dispatcher at ATA, and stayed until the bitter end. Moved up to the undiscovered vacation spot of America after that. 32 years in this biz, and 26 dispatching.....no matter what, it beats the heck out of TPS reports :)

Latest resources

Back