Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So... What are the BIG benefits to F9 with Republic?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So when are you boys and girls gonna man/women up and ask for pay that is respectful of your training, experience, and professionalism?

They already asked for it going with RAH... And it isn't going up. I don't want to hear any F9'er beechen about the economy and how they can't afford to buy drinks for the crews! That's what you'll be gettin a second job for. Its all about the short-term QOL!... Short-sightedness is a beech Isn't it?!?

Did the Frontier pilots agree to the unlimited scope that Bedford was looking for? If so, wouldn't that point to growing the E-190 fleet more than the Airbus fleet?

Yes. I worry about that as well.

On a positive note and I'm being serious so don't flame me -

My buds seem to be pretty content and seem to think or have been told that F9 might double or possibly triple in size because of RAH.

Gup

Yes. I worry about that as well.

On a positive note and I'm being serious so don't flame me -

My buds seem to be pretty content and seem to think or have been told that F9 might double or possibly triple in size because of RAH.

Gup

Wow... Thanks for passing that on! No flame

I will take it easy on you and ask for just ONE example supporting your statement.

"Republic will likely replace a significant number of Frontier's aircraft with new regional jets - E190s are the likely choice - to lower costs. For example, the maintenance costs on the E190s will be a fraction of those spent on Frontier's current Airbus fleet because of the maintenance-cost holiday of new aircraft. Pilot block hour crew costs are 58% lower at Republic ($100 per capita) versus Frontier ($170) and this suggests that Republic will want to reap the benefits of operating its own lower-cost crews. "
-http://seekingalpha.com/article/156382-southwest-airlines-missed-opportunity-frontier-goes-to-republic

Edit: I found another

"Airline financial analysts such as Vaughn Cordle of AirlineForecasts LLC expect a brutal war of attrition in Denver. Republic-controlled Frontier is unlikely to win unless Republic replaces some of Frontier's Airbus aircraft with its own regional jets flown by pilots making substantially less than what Frontier pilots are paid.

He estimates that Frontier's pilots cost the carrier $170 an hour in wages and benefits, compared with $99 an hour for Republic's regional jet pilots; Southwest's pilots cost $290 an hour, he estimates.

Cordle said that although Southwest pilots make more, the carrier can absorb deep losses in Denver that Frontier cannot.

Cutting pilot costs "is the only way Republic's Frontier survives," he said Friday, noting that Republic is in the process of switching out bigger planes for smaller ones with Midwest Airlines, the Milwaukee-based carrier that Republic officially bought July 31. "
-http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/industries/airlines/stories/081509dnbussouthwest.4262f30.html

"Accept lower pay or we'll replace these Airbii with E190's and their 37,000/yr F/Os".

Why wouldnt they? As a shareholder I would demand it.

Last edited:
kf4amu;1864506 "Accept lower pay or we'll replace these Airbii with E190's and their 37 said:
There aren't any Republic FOs making maximum FO scale ($37/hr) None of them have been there that long :)

Did the Frontier pilots agree to the unlimited scope that Bedford was looking for? If so, wouldn't that point to growing the E-190 fleet more than the Airbus fleet?

He's gonna grow both fleets ala B6. And what difference does it make when we have one pilot list, you can bid what you want. You can fly the 190 or the stay on the bus.

Putting the bus in MKE makes sense right now because our loads have been 100% with the 94 seaters. I cant see it becoming a base, but I can see it doing MKE-SEA.

He estimates that Frontier's pilots cost the carrier $170 an hour in wages and benefits, compared with $99 an hour for Republic's regional jet pilots; Southwest's pilots cost $290 an hour, he estimates.

The problem with that assessment is that it leaves out the impending increase in wages for the Republic pilots. If Republic pilots were to fly the Airbus, a new payscale would have to be negotiated. That would close the gap between his ESTIMATED (for effect) $99/hr for RAH pilots and $170/hr for F9 pilots. If the Airbus was offered to RAH pilots, it would go pretty senior. The senior captains are already making close to $99/hr by themselves on the 175/190. Add in the raise in pay for the 'Bus and the FO pay (even at $30/hr for 2yr RAH FO), and the margin between F9 pay and RAH pay becomes very minimal.

But, to be more realistic, F9 pilots are still operating under their contract. Bedford CAN'T replace them with RAH pilots anytime in the near future. Integration will have to occur first. F9 pilots are not going to let integration happen quickly if they don't get protections that keep them on the Airbus with their current pay. The soonest Bedford could get crew pay savings on the Airbus is either at the end of an arbitrated and appealed integration (look how quickly that can go...US Airways), or upon the signing of a new CBA at RAH, which will have increased crew costs. Both are not going to happen in 2009, and 2010 is even pushing it.

That $99 vs. $170 number will be much closer to $150 vs $170 after new pay is negotiated for RAH pilots on larger equipment. And that is my conservative estimate. That assumes captains making in the 105 range (5yr), and FO's making 45/hr (2yr Airbus). All of you would ridicule RAH for those rates, yet look how those rediculously low rates narrow the gap between the alleged crew costs.

Crew pay will not make a difference. Even if Bedford could call all the shots and ignore everyone's CBA, and he puts RAH pilots on the Airbus and F9 pilots on the 170, any cost savings would be negated by the cost of re-training 1200 pilots (600 F9, 600 RAH), paying for displacement moving costs, and paying for extra staff to buffer the transition time. Not to mention, the costs incurred operationally by having a whole fleet being operated by pilots who are unfamiliar with the equipment would be pretty high.

Southwest's low fares have not prevented Frontier from profiting in Denver. Why would all of that suddenly change? Frontier customers are loyal to Frontier, and will continue to stay loyal as long as they get the service they are accustomed to. Since F9 pilots, gate staff, flight attendants, mechanics, and ramp staff will continue to work F9 flights, I see no reason for the customer experience to change.

So when are you boys and girls gonna man/women up and ask for pay that is respectful of your training, experience, and professionalism?

Just a hunch...but it ain't gonna be while they are in bankruptcy.

You wanna give a pilot group some s.hit why don't you go badger the AirTran guys. Their company's been in pretty dam.n good shape for the last decade and still no new pilot contract, not that they haven't been trying.

Give these guys a break already

Latest resources

Back