• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So what about college?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with YIP..If you can or do get picked up by a regional..take it. Then get your degree on the side. You will have plenty of time to get the degree before you will be ready and competitive for the next step.

However will you be disciplined enought to fly you butt off and do online courses? Its hard to believe but at 23yrs old another 4yrs is nothing.

#1 rule the enable you to succeed right now....DO NOT GET MARRIED OR HAVE KIDS...RIGHT NOW.

If you do you have a slim to none chance of getting your degree. I feel I have succeed pretty well in this business, but it is disappointing to know that their are some places I cant even apply with out a degree...know matter what your quals.

good luck

You could get on with a regional, then get your degree while you work. I got my degree done while activated for the Iraq war and was probably easier than if I had been home all the time. Working for a regional, you'll spend plenty of time in hotel rooms or the crew lounge at the airport where you could be working on homework. I got mine done online at Utah Valley State college http://www.uvsc.edu
or http://www.aviationuniversity.com
Getting a non-aviation degree is a better idea, but the UVSC degree is as painless as it will get if you plan on flying for a living.

Wow! support for the "If you want to be a pilot fly airplanes, do your degree on the side" The absence of a degree will not effect your career much in the earlier stages. According to Air Inc only 5 of the 177 airlines hiring make the degree a showstopper. I would recommend a degree in business, you can use the information you learn in managing your finances.

Getting your degree on the side would be pretty tough though. At the regionals and the majors for that matter your schedule is different every month. Trying to get the same day off for that Statics 101 class might be hard to do. As a CFI you have more flexibility. Plus the industry is in the dumps right now. I was in the same boat you are now back in the late 80's and early 90's. Believe me, there will be plenty of opportunities!! Go to school and get a degree in something you like (NOT AVIATION) and have fun!!

Just my .02

Mick

This is like the Pitch vs. Power debate.

Don't bother with the degree if you're just trying to check a box.

But go to college for an education (and the all the chicks).

Sorry to say, there ain't many chicks in aviation.

Go to college. Have fun. You have the rest of your life to work.

Last edited:
mar said:
Sorry to say, there ain't many chicks in aviation.

Go to college. Have fun. You have the rest of your life to work.

And the ones that are all have fat a$$es as they graze on that first class food at UAL for example.

Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom, I cant tell you all how excited I am that I found this sight. I wish I knew about it years ago. Thank you all for your time to respond. Happy Turkey day everyone.

Get the degree while you're still young. I'm 42 with no degree flying a big freighter and my options are now pretty limited. Fed Ex would be the place to work if I had a choice. Most of the better airlines make it a requirement or at least "preferred" in their mins.

MICK said:
Getting your degree on the side would be pretty tough though. At the regionals and the majors for that matter your schedule is different every month. Trying to get the same day off for that Statics 101 class might be hard to do. As a CFI you have more flexibility. Plus the industry is in the dumps right now. I was in the same boat you are now back in the late 80's and early 90's. Believe me, there will be plenty of opportunities!! Go to school and get a degree in something you like (NOT AVIATION) and have fun!!

Just my .02

Mick

the UVSC courses for aviation allow you to do everything online and at your own pace. It was specifically designed for pilots. I dont work for them, but it's just what i plan on doing in the future. Finishing up my training, doing some instructing, and hopefully getting a job with the regionals and getting my 4 year degree at the same time.

I think the website is

www.UVSCaviation.com

College reply

Lets put it this way guys. I know instructors I work with that have thousands of hours and have a difficult time getting on with an airline or regional. Then I know pilots who have college degrees and get hired on with 600 and 100. College degrees are not reqiured by most airlines but think about it. If you have no degree and go to the same interview as someone who has a degree, what do you think the outcome will be?? I personally recieved my education from Embry-Riddle and wouldn't trade it for 8,000 hrs. in any airplane. GET YOUR DEGREE. ANY AIRLINE OR REGIONAL OR CORPORATE DEPARTMENT PREFERS IT!

Latest resources

Back