So what about college?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
Also sounds like you are not really going to use your MBA skills right away, but maybe later on. Like I said you may luck into something, opportunities are stranges things, you never know when they will pop up. Then again you find yourself at age 40 going how come I don't have a great job?

So when are you going to tell him about the "back up value" of the MBA?

OK here it is. An unused MBA without substaintial expereince in a specific area of business will not bring lots of jobs offers 10 years after the degree is awarded. You have to decide on what you want to be a MBA or a pilot. If is a pilot, you fly airplanes and build resume stuff. It will take approximately 10 years to get to a career position in aviation. You have to commit to the time frame to make it. To not fly and get an MBA may be fun but it does nothing for your flying career. Now to get one on the side, nothing wrong with that, it is a useful degree helps you understand money, investing, etc. However the fall back value of a MBA in greatly over rated. I have a BS and a Master's in Management, but at age 53, I was making $250/wk loading cargo. After Zantop pretended to go out of went out of business in 1997, I had been a temporary High School Chemistry Teacher up until two weeks before the cargo job came along. However, they do not teach school in the summer so I had to take the cargo job. The value of an unused degree is highly over rated. 53 year old unemployed airline pilots are not eagerly greeted in any industry that I know of, even of having a couple degrees. Of course, I did not apply for many of the "College degree preferred jobs" such as apt manager, telephone direct sales, plumping floor manager at Home Depot, etc. If you get a college degree you have to use, the knowledge gained in college to develop a career or the degree is useless. After getting a degree, flying an airplane is not a knowledge expanding experience; it is skill development experience. Anyone care to chime in and share their experiences on entering the non-aviation job market after being out of college 20-30 years?

Last edited:
Hey,

Quick idea for you. Come on down to FIT in Melbourne, FL and instruct while getting your degree. Below is a post I just put on another thread. Sounds like you would be qualified.

FIT Aviation (Florida Tech) is looking for flight instructors for the upcoming semester and year. Qualified Applicants will need CFI and CFII and be available to beign work January 3, 2006.

If interested please send a resume to:
FIT Aviation
Attn: Jason Maceyunas
640 Harry Sutton Rd
Melbourne, FL 32901

Good pay and possible benefits. Fly 20-40 hours per week.

I am a current instructor and just wanted to put the word out there. We need people. Be prepared for a rather indepth interview as we require instructors to be VERY knowledgable.

Go to college, have fun, get a degree in something other than aviation. Fly because you love to fly and have a back up plan. As my grandfather used to say, "They can't take your education away from you," and I can personally attest to the fact that my education has given me a lot of opportunities (in and out of aviation) I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. No, a degree isn't required for many aviation jobs but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Latest resources

Back