Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

152-for-life

euqinu
Hi. This is my first thread on this sight, I just signed up. I am 23, living in Dallas. I currently have 700 or so hours, free-lance instructing. I have no college... I have not had the time the last four years for a number of reasons. I want to go to the regionals when I have their minimums, but I dont know where they stand on not having a degree completed. I have been told different things, and was hoping I could get some advice on what I should be doing with myself. Should I enroll in school (now that I have the time) and just build time the next 4 years!?, or will they eventually hire me and allow me to finish college while flying right seat? Or should I go to school and try doing part time charter flying or something when I have 135 min.'s? Please help...

MarineGrunt is right - most regionals don't require a degree but it helps. Before you expend too much effort on going to the airlines you should do a lot of research on the quality of life issues at the airlines - It's not what it used to be. And I'm not just talking about regionals - it's industrywide. Do a search around these boards and talk to as many airline pilots as you can and try to get an objective picture of what's really going on out there.

Good luck to you.

C425Driver

Take the long view

Let's put it like this:

--Airline hiring (for all practical extents and purposes) has essentially stopped. Therefore, you're not missing anything right now.

--You're young and I assume single with no kids or a house. That means no anchors.

--You say you have the time to attend college.

--Education is always an asset.

My advice: Go to college now before 1) The airlines begin to recover and start hiring again 2) You get married and have other financial committments and 3) Before you accrue seniority, start making a little money, get lazy and lose the ambition.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice,

You seem to have been around long enough to know the ropes, my education must come first of course (I am single and do not own a home). I would just love to be flying a turbine while I go to school tho... or at least something with two props and no student. I hope. -blue skies

The *longer* view

152-for-life said:
I would just love to be flying a turbine while I go to school tho... or at least something with two props and no student. I hope. -blue skies

Listen my friend. I know what it's like to want something really bad and yet be continually smacked down and denied.

I'm single too. But that's not what I'm talking about.

You're new here (and new to the industry) so maybe you haven't been reading all of the complaining going on.

College will take you four years...and then you have the rest of your life to fly multi-engine turbines and here's the kicker: You'll fly so much you'll be bored to death and sick of it.

Enjoy college now while you're young, there's plenty of time to sit behind the yoke and grow hemmorhoids.

Tailwinds (to cool the burn).

152-for-life said:
Hi. . Should I enroll in school (now that I have the time) and just build time the next 4 years!?, or will they eventually hire me and allow me to finish college while flying right seat? Or should I go to school and try doing part time charter flying or something when I have 135 min.'s? Please help...

Go to school dude. You can still fly while your going through school.either flight instructing or even doing some part time 135 flying here and there. Your a lot better off going to school, get a degree in something other than just aviation so you have something to fall back on when the bad times hit. As you very well know, this industry is not without furloughs, bankruptcies and so on, and a degree in something else is always good.

Thanks for your advice. Sometimes I just stress myself out trying to look down the road into the future and wanting to know exactly how everything will turn out in life.... when all I really need to do is to just keep on flying what I am flying and stop spinning my wheels over the future and school- just get r' done.

Fly full time, built time, get a jump on the future hiring by having a better resume. Do not worry about QOL or pay just yet. If one of those 600TT 100ME regionals would hire you it would be the right move, go for it. Do your college on the side. A college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. Hey guys he asked for advice what am I suppose to do ignore him?

Last edited:
Oh yeah........ DON'T get a degree in aviation. I was stupid enough to do that.

Hopefully I can keep my house....

Latest resources

Back