• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So now we are not professional...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How did you get that out of my post? I am not defending anyone and I am not making a case for or against any airline.

My point is that if the airlines are treating us like busdrivers then that mentality will start to prevail amongst the pilots. Doesn't matter who you or I work for, all the airlines do the same things, for the most part.

The talent will follow the quality of the job. If the job sucks, the talent will go elsewhere.

You should KNOW you're not a bus driver. Do you (collectively) really need someone to stroke your ego in order for you to know you're a professional.

You're right about talent going to the quality jobs:D.

Doesn't matter how much or how little you're paid, how they make you dress, how they treat you, or what they make you fly. When that cockpit door closes I know I have a responsibility not only to our passengers, but to my wife and kids to fly professionally.
Asset or liability, my kids want dad home alive. That argument doesn't hold water, unless you take no pride in yourself. Fly the plane like a pro and let your negotiating committee know what they can do for you.

Doesn't matter how much or how little you're paid, how they make you dress, how they treat you, or what they make you fly. When that cockpit door closes I know I have a responsibility not only to our passengers, but to my wife and kids to fly professionally.
Asset or liability, my kids want dad home alive. That argument doesn't hold water, unless you take no pride in yourself. Fly the plane like a pro and let your negotiating committee know what they can do for you.

How did you get that out of my post? I am not defending anyone and I am not making a case for or against any airline.

My point is that if the airlines are treating us like busdrivers then that mentality will start to prevail amongst the pilots. Doesn't matter who you or I work for, all the airlines do the same things, for the most part.

The talent will follow the quality of the job. If the job sucks, the talent will go elsewhere.

So Go!

Yes, he's wrong.

I don't have a problem casting aspersions on specific crews when they screw up. What I resent is the extremely broad brush he's using to insinuate a larger problem affecting the industry as a whole. The overwhelming majority of pilots I've flown with ARE professional. They fly to SOP, safety is #1 and they do care about customer service and how they represent themselves and their company. There's always a few at every company that we all wish would just go away, but Babbitt was way out of line to lump us all together.

I'm not doubting what you're saying about the percentage of great crews out there...

but I didn't see anybody on here complaining about being lumped with Sully just a few months ago.

I sadly agree with what Babbitt is saying, we do have a profesionalism crisis...it isn't everybody, but it does seem to be a larger percentage than usual...it doesn't matter what you get paid or what benefits you receive...any amount of unprofesionalism is unacceptable especially in this career.

The job has been dumbed down to the point where the quality of individual and the pay they receive is falling in-line. Once you build an airplane that can overcome the shortcomings the pilots are assumed to suffer from (Hint - Airbus), then you really can't expect to attract top-tier people. You get not only what you pay for, but also what you have planned for.

How many crusty 4-stripers would be terrified to take a light twin with round dials into even moderately hard IFR? How many pile them up when they do?

This profession has changed as a result of the airlines themselves. If pilots were treated as assets instead of liabilities, then we, as a whole, would take more pride in our work.

You are allowing your environment and circumstances to define your level of professionalism. B-A-D.

Yes, he's wrong.

I don't have a problem casting aspersions on specific crews when they screw up. What I resent is the extremely broad brush he's using to insinuate a larger problem affecting the industry as a whole. The overwhelming majority of pilots I've flown with ARE professional. They fly to SOP, safety is #1 and they do care about customer service and how they represent themselves and their company. There's always a few at every company that we all wish would just go away, but Babbitt was way out of line to lump us all together.

Customer service is for FAs and gate agents.... (jB? not that there is anything wrong with that:) )

Why are you offended.. if you are professional then there are no worries.. the fact is the public is shocked.. in that realm we will get no where saying we are pro's when they believe we aren't. Perception is reality.

Also, Babbitt isn't a pilot rep. He is head of the FAA and answers to the White House via the DOT Sec. Not us.

Latest resources

Back