• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So now we are not professional...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Try saying this during an airline interview to an HR rep or a fellow pilot. You'll quickly be show the door.

The airlines I interviewed at including the one that hired me never asked that kind of question. They were hiring someone to take responsibility for flight safety. I never had the pleasure of interviewing at jetblue.

This principle exists and because I'm aware of it, and point it out here, doesn't mean I think the end result is the correct one. It's basic human nature - people respond to how they are treated.

If you alter the perceived quality in a particular environment, the population in that environment will respond.

understood and agreed...

I read an article a long time ago that basically said, if you want to be perceived a certain way, first you need to behave that certain way. Regardless of whether you (or anybody else) buys it, or not. This will slowly, but surely shift the perception that you ARE the way you have been acting.

Okay, what?

If you (as an airline pilot) want to be perceived as a professional, then the first step is to behave like a professional. Then others will see how you are behaving and perceive you as a professional.

I say this because, time and time again I read on this board (among other places), "if management wanted me to act like a professional, then they should treat me like a professional." I believe this is reverse logic. If you want to be perceived and ultimately treated like a pro, the first step is to behave like one.

Okay, How?

Know your airplane.
Know the procedures.
Stay current at ALL levels of automation.
Treat your crew with respect.
Treat the gate agents and other employee groups with respect.
Show up on time.
Use sick time for when you're sick.
Wear the uniform correctly.
Put away the laptop, ipod, USA Today and paperbacks while you're flying.

Just a thought...

Bravo!

The public takes a safe flight as a given

The public want the safest pilot and the cheapest ticket. Perhaps Babbitt could take the time to explain that these two are mutually exclusive. Why? Because a qualified and experienced pilot will not allow himself or herself to be used as a pawn to subsidise low air fares. He should use his current position to provide regulation that mandates higher qualifications and experience in Part 121 operations. Pilot unions can take care of the rest at the bargaining table. Hard to run an airline when you do not have enough pilots.

It's interesting- passengers seem to not want to think Theresa human element in aviation. I've seen them implore "well airplanes pretty much fly themselves right? .....right?" as if the physical act of lying hasn't always been a small part of the job- and they'd be more comfortable if there were no humans at the controls.

Bottom line - our stats speak for themselves. 1000s of flights happen safely in all kinds of weather and situations bc everyone involved - is very good at their job. Remind your passengers.

Rez- the best cultures to work at will ask that question. Pilots are leaders and we can set the service tone, team attitude- or not.

You guys really don't understand the Lufthansa model, do you?

Do you know the most dangerous airline in the Western World (Aeroflot excluded!)?

Latest resources

Back