Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So im in a single engine taking off from an island airport...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

Just a quick general question I have for everyone. Lets say im in a single engine taking off from an island airport and will be out over the water within a minute or two after takeoff. Just a few examples....Mackinaw Island in Michigan, Block Island in Rhode Island, Fishers Island in NY, etc. Do you think there is anything wrong with performing a climb around the perimeter of the island to get a good altitude to cross the water with or is this a waste of time?

In other words...it would seem somewhat safer to remain within the island's land area as you climb to a high enough altitude before heading out over the water in case you lose your engine rather than just climbing out straight over a large body of water 20-30 NM from land. Just wanted to see everyones thoughts on this.

Couldn't hurt. I used to do that out of Block Island. Some might say that it isn't necessary but I can't see any harm in it as long as you aren't getting in anyone's way or going against ATC instructions.

I used to do this all the time at Catalina Island in my own SE. It was a good excuse to do some sightseeing for the passengers while I was really gaining enough altitude to glide to a beach either on the island or the mainland in case of engine failure. I never planned on deadsticking back into Catalina as it could be difficult enough with power with the usual strong winds and downdrafts off the cliffs. Altitude is a cheap insurance policy.

You do need to know your aircraft's gliding range no wind, into the wind and downwind to determine at what altitude and distance to strike out on course for the mainland.

Sometimes the mainland is just too far away and there will be a period of time when you will get wet if the engine fails. That's where the life jackets, signaling devices and portable emergency ELT come in handy. You do carry them, don't you?

A wise pilot keeps track of where the boats are along his course and alters course to stay within gliding range of one. I had a friend who had a job fish-spotting and once had to ditch a C-150 on the west side of San Clemente Island. He got a radio call out and one of the tuna boats he was spotting for picked him up.

Two engines make it tempting to just head out on course but I always try to keep all my options open in case both fail(e. g. - fuel contamination) and always have the required safety equipment onboard.

I once knew an Iraqi pilot who flew out from San Diego to San Clemente Island in an Aztec to pickup some passengers. It was 80NM from the mainland. Shortly after takeoff on the return trip an engine failed and he elected to keep going to the mainland instead of returning to the island's 10,000 foot runway. They then discovered he hadn't preflighted the emergency equipment and there were zero life preservers on board. He still didn't turn around. They made it.

FL420 great post! Couldnt say it any better! The way you wrote that fit the mold of something Id read in AOPA or Flying mag. haha.

I see too many other GA pilots neglect certain things they could do to be safer while flying...a few I know never manually measure (with a calibrated stick) fuel quantity when the tank is less than full...they just eye it and verify it on guages and off they go! I actually measure it ......better safe than sorry...

Just remember to respect those who live on the island. As one who lives near a little airport I can assure you we notice those senic climbs. That said I wouldnt cross water in the winter with a single myself.

I used to do a lot of SE to and from Catalina, too. I used to make my pax wear the inflatable life vests; how confidence-inspiring was that? And I also used to do a climbing tour of the island before I set off across the channel.

And crossing the channel, I used to keep track of the boats -- 'cause if I had to ditch, I wanted to be close to the most bitchin' trimaran, with the best party on deck.

Your point is well made. I know that at MCD, there are restrictions about flying over the town, but certainly, you can climb north of the airport, still in gliding range, until you get to a comfortable altitude.

Whenever I am over water, I keep a look out for boats, and make sure that the appropriate survival equipment is close at hand.

Someone I know marks the location of boats on his handheld GPS, in case he has a problem. There is a function on most that allow you to input a user waypoint. That waypoint can be the nearest vessel, which would be handy to know in an emergency.

Flightjock30 said:
Just a quick general question I have for everyone. Lets say im in a single engine taking off from an island airport and will be out over the water within a minute or two after takeoff. Just a few examples....Mackinaw Island in Michigan, Block Island in Rhode Island, Fishers Island in NY, etc. Do you think there is anything wrong with performing a climb around the perimeter of the island to get a good altitude to cross the water with or is this a waste of time?

In other words...it would seem somewhat safer to remain within the island's land area as you climb to a high enough altitude before heading out over the water in case you lose your engine rather than just climbing out straight over a large body of water 20-30 NM from land. Just wanted to see everyones thoughts on this.

Just don't forget to include your extra flying in your flight planning for fuel puposes and don't forget that while you're circumnavigating the island, you might be increasing your risk of a mid air. In addition, the longer you make the flight than it needs to be, you add more risk of something happening.

Last edited:
Flightjock30 said:

I used to think about that leaving Block Island.

would beeline right from Block to Fishers Island..I think it was the closest land.

However, I did not circle and climb up very high, that took too long!....and when going IFR that wasn't an option!!

(Yikes!)

I wouldn't treat that any differently than circling an airport in order to climb to an altitude to make it over a mountain. Do it--takes a little more time on the meter, but it makes you feel better.

Latest resources

Back