Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So im in a single engine taking off from an island airport...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flightjock30 said:
Just a quick general question I have for everyone. Lets say im in a single engine taking off from an island airport and will be out over the water within a minute or two after takeoff. Just a few examples....Mackinaw Island in Michigan, Block Island in Rhode Island, Fishers Island in NY, etc. Do you think there is anything wrong with performing a climb around the perimeter of the island to get a good altitude to cross the water with or is this a waste of time?

In other words...it would seem somewhat safer to remain within the island's land area as you climb to a high enough altitude before heading out over the water in case you lose your engine rather than just climbing out straight over a large body of water 20-30 NM from land. Just wanted to see everyones thoughts on this.

Sounds like a great idea to me... can't imagine anyone would ever fault you for staying on the conservative side.

Not bashing or offering criticism, but it doesn't that long in a 172 to get to 4500'. Also..when circling the island I am actually out over the water a bit and not on top of land overflying homes (noise abatement consideration like someone mentioned). As for the possibility of a midair....95% of guys of out these island airports fly straight out and the arrivals are within 1000 feet of pattern altitude within the airport area. I climb beyond that dense traffic area (esp. in summer when Block Island and Natucket get packed.) And IFR as you mentioned..is of course not an option, but I dont usually file. After all..flying to Block Island or Nantucket during spring, summer, and fall is meant for a scenic VFR flight!

Gulfstream 200 said:
I used to think about that leaving Block Island.

would beeline right from Block to Fishers Island..I think it was the closest land.

However, I did not circle and climb up very high, that took too long!....and when going IFR that wasn't an option!!

(Yikes!)

Flightjock30 said:
Not bashing or offering criticism, but it doesn't that long in a 172 to get to 4500'. Also..when circling the island I am actually out over the water a bit and not on top of land overflying homes (noise abatement consideration like someone mentioned). As for the possibility of a midair....95% of guys of out these island airports fly straight out and the arrivals are within 1000 feet of pattern altitude within the airport area. I climb beyond that dense traffic area (esp. in summer when Block Island and Natucket get packed.) And IFR as you mentioned..is of course not an option, but I dont usually file. After all..flying to Block Island or Nantucket during spring, summer, and fall is meant for a scenic VFR flight!

keep in mind you may be stuck on BID for days if you cant go IFR....

(not that the above is a bad thing)

PS - I wouldn't fly a single VFR today, never mind IFR! but at the time the fog, rain, wind, and embedded Tstorms were an acceptable risk in order to meet up with friends, party, and get laid. Fun times.

Yellow Kittens still open?

:beer:

Gulfstream 200 said:
keep in mind you may be stuck on BID for days if you cant go IFR....

(not that the above is a bad thing)

PS - I wouldn't fly a single VFR today, never mind IFR! but at the time the fog, rain, wind, and embedded Tstorms were an acceptable risk in order to meet up with friends, party, and get laid. Fun times.

Yellow Kittens still open?

:beer:

This is why I asked such a question...I have been flying jets out of EWR for several years now and only recently (last spring) got back into GA flying. We can agree that after flying 121 you dont feel safe flying GA aircraft as much (minus corporate a/c). This is why I am taking such conservative precautions (i.e. climbing around the perimeter of the island to gain alt, physically measuring fuel quantity, searching every little darn thing on the airplane inside and out while preflighting, etc.)

Block Island is a blast in the summer! A couple of controllers I know from NY TRACON got off one week in the summer and I met them there. AMAZING time...haha.

Oh, wait, I forgot.
Forget the single engine plane, buy a twin. A skymaster. It's simple, it's fun, it's faster than a 172.

Latest resources

Back