• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So-called peace activists

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
why is it when an abortion protestor blocks entrance to a clinic it is punishable via RICO (an organized crime statute), while the leftist-org's who block streets/bulldozers/etc are just "excercising their constitutional rights"?

CitationLover said:
why is it when an abortion protestor blocks entrance to a clinic it is punishable via RICO (an organized crime statute), while the leftist-org's who block streets/bulldozers/etc are just "excercising their constitutional rights"?
Probably for the same reason that when someone expresses an anti-war sentiment it's called "giving aid and comfort to the enemy" while when an anti-abortionist gets in a pregnant woman's face and hurls epithets at her it's called "educating."

To take a term from the '80's...people need to take a "chill pill."
Seriously...all these protesters do is get people pissed off at them! They need to relax. It's great that they feel strongly about things but nobody else needs to hear them and have their daily lives disrupted by them. I am pro-war...am I out there in the streets blocking them off, screaming and yelling?! No! I DO want to get off of the couch however and go punch an anti-war protester. I just hope these people realize that their freedom of speech came about through a WAR! WITHOUT WAR THERE WOULD BE NO FREEDOM FOR THESE INGRATES TO PROTEST!!!!
Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh! These people frustrate me! Major world changes never come peacefully. God Bless our soldiers who are willing to lay their lives on the line so that the protesters can continue to be ingrates and live a life of free speech.

Iceman21 said:
I believe the term is "Pro-life"

Problem is that too many (not all by any stretch) are also pro death penalty and pro-war. My personal definition of "pro-life" doesn't allow for exceptions.

Flying Illini said:
To take a term from the '80's...

I don't know the general age of the people in this group, but I hope everyone realizes that most of the cross-labeling and the accusations (like your don't-they-realize-that-without-war-there- is-no-freedom) are old and tired.

I have no problem at all with sending a military expedition into a country if that country poses an international threat. Too bad that the US and Britain didn't do it in the 1930's when Churchill was showing photographs of aircraft factories in Germany and other very solid evidence of a military build-up that wasn't supposed to be there.

Bush tried to make that case about WMD in Iraq, but never produced any solid evidence. Nothing even close to Churchill's

So, we're left with a trust issue.

And I'm sorry. Rightly or wrongly, I do not trust the government to tell me the truth when it wants to go to war. In the Vietnam era, some elements of the anti-war movement said some incredibly terrible things about the US Government and military. Then the Pentagon Papers were published and proved them wrong — it was far worse. The protestors had no idea how bad it was, how regularly we were were lied to by 4 administrations - 2 Democratic; 2 Republican.

That's the bit of history that colors my views on the present situation. Sorry if it offends your sensibilities.

Midlife's points are good ones but the media is part of this campaign in ways that would have been unthinkable during Vietnam. I don't have a trust issue with our government in this. The real time images and on-scene reporting appear to be bonding the media elite to its military hosts. Look at Diane Sawyer babbling all over herself this morning with praise for the way our military comports itself under fire and bears its losses. It's about sacrifice and duty and honor. That's a foreign concept to many of the political and media elite in this country.

But I think they're finally starting to get it; it's not a vast conspiracy of baby killers, it's decent normal Americans from all walks coming together to do a job. Most of the media have never left their Starbucks sofa long enough to see what a soldier actually does during operations lasting longer than 100 hours. Now they do and what they're seeing is heroic and they are impressed. It's why we're the greatest nation in the world; we have noble, moral convictions that are worth fighting for. It's only going to get better too as their understanding grows.

Latest resources

Back