So-called peace activists

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
James Webb

James Webb, Viet Nam USMC, Navy Cross winner, former Sec of Navy, great writer. He really beat up the subject of freedom and the violence needed to secure freeedom and the on-going conflict between the two groups, in his book " A Country Such as This". His theme goes something like this, Those who deplore violence, can rest safely in their beds at night, because of those who willingly engage in violence on their behalf. The system that the protester deplores, is the system that allows the protester to deplore the system.

Last edited:
Birdstrike said:
Midlife's points are good ones but the media is part of this campaign in ways that would have been unthinkable during Vietnam. I don't have a trust issue with our government in this. /QUOTE]

Don't mistake me. I try to avoid silly phrases like "I support the troops but not the war." But even in the Vietnam era, I was one of those who thought that our military men and women received the shortest end of the stick. Once the ant-war movement finally became the majority viewpoint, what this country did to our soldiers both during and after the war is a national disgrace.

I have no problem with the way our troops comport themselves in Iraq. Every man and woman among them (with some obvious exceptions) is doing the best job he or she can. I'm just as proud of every one of them who is willing to lay down her life for her beliefs as I am of those who are taking a personal moral stance and refusing to continue to serve

My trust issue is with the administration and the "reasons" it's giving us for making young Americans kill and die on foreign soil. Reporters in bed with military units doesn't do a thing to calm those concerns.

So if I follow your logic correctly midlifeflyer, you think that killing in a war is absolutely no different than an abortion. Leap of logic. And executing a rapist/murderer is no different either. So I can't be pro-life and in favor of the death penaty at the same time?
Go ahead and call me anti-abortion then.

Pro-choicers seem to be mostly anti-war. Maybe we should characterize this military action as 'aborting' an humanity-hating regime.

My planet, my choice.

why is it when an abortion protestor blocks entrance to a clinic it is punishable via RICO

Shot down two weeks ago ... RICO no longer applies.

And on that subject ... why do Republicans scream for an end to abortion in all instances, yet scream for the blood of convicts despite many having been declared innocent via DNA while on death row, leading to the logical conclusion that many innocent human beings have been killed by the state.

And ..... why do the tree-huggers cry for convicted killers finally getting their just desserts while families of thier victims have been waiting years for justice and have never had a tear shed for them in TIME magazine ... yet they believe it is THEIR RIGHT to murder a human child rather than take common-sense precautions during sexual intercourse against a pregnancy.

See .... both positions are equally ignorant. :D

Minh
(Spreading good cheer and common sense to all.)

Mids conscept

Problem is that too many (not all by any stretch) are also pro death penalty and pro-war. My personal definition of "pro-life" doesn't allow for exceptions.

So your saying that the Dems concept of no Death penalty but allowing partial birth abortions is fine???????

100LL... Again! said:
So if I follow your logic correctly midlifeflyer, you think that killing in a war is absolutely no different than an abortion. Leap of logic.
The leap is yours, not mine. I don't equate them at all. I don't even equate all wars with each other.

Re: Mids conscept

Tim47SIP said:
So your saying that the Dems concept of no Death penalty but allowing partial birth abortions is fine???????
I don't think so.

Labels are all political. They are designed for "spin". Folks who believe abortion is morally wrong use the "Pro-Life" label because being in favor of something sound better than being "anti" something. "Pro-choice" people use that label for themselves in part because "Pro-abortion" in addition to not really being accurate, sounds terrible. Groups use different labels for their opponents for the same reason.

I choose "anti-abortion" to describe "pro-lifers" merely because I think that the former accurately describes their policy goals and the latter is inconsistent with other views taken by the same people.

I don't trust our government or especially, our media. So much truth comes out 10-20 years after the fact. Why did it take years to find out about the highway out of Kuwait that was littered for miles with burnt corpses of the retreating Iraqi forces? It's a propaganda war.

Doesn't it make you nervous that violent demonstrations against US actions are occuring in countries throughout the world? Look away from U.S. protests and celebrity statements for a second. The world used to idolize our country. If you say you don't care what the voice of the world is saying, that only proves your ignorance. The line between a hyperpower and a rogue nation is growing thinner and thinner.

The line between a hyperpower and a rogue nation is growing thinner and thinner.

Be careful .... you'll wind up being painted with the gigantic 'Unpatriotic Brush'.

Let's face it ... we are bullies gunning for oil, and my former comrades in the 3rd ID will soon be fighting house-to-house against soldiers and police that we helped train. Now ... I said it, and I feel MUCH better. :D

Minh

Oh ... and let's not forget that we also fomented, and subsequently supported materially and with intel via the CIA/State Dept., the B'ath Party coup in the early 60s in Iraq. And who is head of the B'ath party now? Anyone? Anyone? Saddam.

Oh wait ... we're not thru yet. We also provided training, intel, and weapons components (not weapons) to Saddam during the war with Iran (remember ... we didn't like Iran then). He!! ... we even shot down an Iranian Airbus for Saddam. Nothing like a pause for the cause eh?

I love my country and I put my life on the line for it for five years. But sometimes I wonder about my government. Who the H@LL is running this GODD@MN rodeo? The clowns?

Chickens always come back in the evening, don't they? These latest chickens WILL probably come home to roost too. I hope I'm wrong about that ... but I doubt it. :(

Minh

Latest resources

Back