Small plane crashes into Tampa Building

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
What do you think would've happened today if this would've happened, and also how would the media have portrayed it?

User, nice to see someone a little more light-hearted. After all, I've done nothing wrong here.

As far as the potential media portrayal, not sure. But the media coverage alone wouldn't by any means improve the overall public perception of GA. Within what seems like a 3-week period, we've seen a Cessna violate restricted airspace, a turbo-prop crash, an airshow mishap, another airspace violation, an airplane crash-land on a golf course, a student drown in Lake Michigan, and a helicopter land on a city street. What's interesting though, is that if you compared these aviation accidents to say...motor vehcile accidents, GA would look pretty safe, and that's because it IS safe. But the media wont cover even your typical fatal vehicle accident, because after all, who's going to care? Sadly, fatal vehcile accidents are a daily occurence in this country. But nobody thinks twice before stepping into thier car each morning. Nevertheless, by covering every and any aircraft accident, the media may just manage to make us look so much worse than we really are....

Thank goodness though that they don't cover every accident!

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/AccList.asp?month=5&year=2005

In May alone there were 88 accidents, in which 38 people lost their lives. For every one story you hear on the news, there's 50 others that go unreported.

Imagine the public perception that would be caused if they really reported all the accidents.

User997 said:
In May alone there were 88 accidents, in which 38 people lost their lives. For every one story you hear on the news, there's 50 others that go unreported.

Imagine the public perception that would be caused if they really reported all the accidents.

Very intersting. As a contrast, here is a chart showing motor vehcile accident statistics over several years:

http://www.disastercenter.com/traffic/Crash88_.html

Notice that at any given time, a general average of more than 3000 fatalities occur every month!!! Any you said 38 people died in May???? Here we are dealing with close to 10 times that amount for motor vehicles!!! Again, nobody thinks twice about stepping into the car, but a few mishaps give GA a bad rap....wtf???

UnAnswerd said:
Notice that at any given time, a general average of more than 3000 fatalities occur every month!!! Any you said 38 people died in May???? Here we are dealing with close to 10 times that amount for motor vehicles!!!

Would you like to give that math another shot?:)

UnAnswerd said:
I had no idea that was in defiance of forum laws.

It's not but it's very bad form on a message board. Threads with no activity for the last month or two should be laid to rest with the following exceptions:

1.)Threads with good info that need "resurrecting" to share the info again.
2.)The rare time when it's funny to say "Hey guys look where we were 3 years ago."

TrafficInSight said:
It's not but it's very bad form on a message board. Threads with no activity for the last month or two should be laid to rest with the following exceptions:

1.)Threads with good info that need "resurrecting" to share the info again.
2.)The rare time when it's funny to say "Hey guys look where we were 3 years ago."

Also: Any thread with links to naked pics of hot women.

UnAnswerd said:
Notice that at any given time, a general average of more than 3000 fatalities occur every month!!! Any you said 38 people died in May???? Here we are dealing with close to 10 times that amount for motor vehicles!!! Again, nobody thinks twice about stepping into the car, but a few mishaps give GA a bad rap....wtf???

keep in mind that there are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of cars on the road every day, compared with just thousands of GA planes.

I have not done the statistical analysis, but I did read somewhere the GA is about 7x more "dangerous" than driving.. and this figure came with a set of assumptions I don't remember.. the point is, flying is as safe as you make it.. don't be mislead because there are more car accidents/fatalities.. I bet the ratio of cars on the road to car accidents is less the GA planes in the air to GA accidents.

UnAnswerd said:
But nobody thinks twice before stepping into thier car each morning. Nevertheless, by covering every and any aircraft accident, the media may just manage to make us look so much worse than we really are....

Unfortunately hopping in your car is CONSIDERABLY safer than GA flying. It's about on par with riding a motorcycle. It's a wonder I live through the days I ride my sportbike down to the airport!

The nice thing though is that GA pilots usually cause their own demise, whereas motorcyclists are typically taken out by an errant car driver. Being in control of your own destiny is a good thing (usually!).

prpjt said:
Would you like to give that math another shot?:)

For the given ten-year period, the average number of fatalities per month was 3,155. Pretty close to 3K, considering I didn't make exact calculations the first time.

Latest resources

Back