• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Slideshow: USAir 1549 Lifted Out of Water

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, the left engine did exactly what it was supposed to do. I'd guess that Airbus will be looking into why the right engine stayed put in their analysis. I don't think there was much holding it on, though - in the shots where the plane was coming out of the water, the engine looks pretty much like it should, maybe even hanging down a bit, but in the shots (not in this link) where it's resting on the barge, the engine appears to be pointed upwards. If the pylon were fully intact, it should be able to pretty much support the plane.

Still in awe over all of this!

Last edited:
Yeah, the left engine did exactly what it was supposed to do. I'd guess that Airbus will be looking into why the right engine stayed put in their analysis. I don't think there was much holding it on, though

It does make one wonder why the left engine departed, while the right one remained. In my mind, either the left engine attach points were more heavily damaged than the right ones, or one engine (left) presented more drag at touchdown. Say, perhaps the right engine had daylight from front to rear (missing blades). In that second case, I'm thinking the left engine would have presented more drag at touchdown ...left engine thus departs, stress on right engine is relieved, as the fuselage is now free pivot around the remaining right engine as it comes to a stop in the river. Should be an interesting lab specimen as structural engineers sift through evidence. Just some thoughts.

The jet made a fairly sharp turn to the left on impact. Perhaps the associated side loads were higher on the left engine. In any case time will tell when they complete the investigation. What a great job by the captain and his crew to make the situation survivable. Outstanding job. Kudus to all the first responders as well.

FJ

That makes sense...I would imagine that the initial turn would be around the high drag side (pivot around the left engine, as it severed)...and, once set in motion, it would continue in that direction ???

Last edited:
Looks like most of that damage should buff right out. Should be flying in couple weeks.

Better check planefax.com before you go out and buy an A320 these days...

Latest resources

Back