• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Slideshow: USAir 1549 Lifted Out of Water

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where are the FDR and CVR boxes, or any other equipment that the recovery teams might have been looking for, actually located on these planes? I seem to remember hearing that they quit trying to get to those things after a while and opted to wait until conditions were more favorable. Just wondering if anything of interest to the investigation might be in that cargo bay that they may have opened it up early on in the recovery process.

Yeah, now that I think about it 707, I think it was mentioned they were going to recover the Ground-Prox data...and I suspect that's in the E&E bay under the flight deck. If that's the case, I'd imagine you could get to it from the fwd cargo bay.

The CVR and FDR are back in the tail section.

Yeah, now that I think about it 707, I think it was mentioned they were going to recover the Ground-Prox data...and I suspect that's in the E&E bay under the flight deck. If that's the case, I'd imagine you could get to it from the fwd cargo bay.

I actually recall seeing on TV the GPWS box in a separate cooler along with the FDR and CVR coolers.

Thanks. Speaking of the tail, what's hanging from the hole at the tail? It almost looks soft like a slide rather than a detached tail cone. Is there a tail exit on these like in a DC-9 where the tail cone pops off?

The Airbus does not have a tail exit at all. It is a slide that you do see attached to the aircraft. It might be a slide from the window exit. The aft exits on the aircraft were never opened.

Latest resources

Back