Slc Corp. Gig??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I love it.

I've worked for several firms in SLC or that were based there, over the years. I think a grand total of one employer was LDS...the others were definitely not. More importantly, nobody cared.

The idea that anybody there cares about your religion when it comes to getting selected for a job is hogwash.

Of the one employer that was LDS, none of the employees were, and I can't remember him ever asking anybody. He left and went to work for another employer flying bigger and better, and that employee wasn't LDS. I went to work for the same company, and none of the employees, pilots or management, or office staff, were LDS. Go figure.

avbug said:
I love it.

I've worked for several firms in SLC or that were based there, over the years. I think a grand total of one employer was LDS...the others were definitely not. More importantly, nobody cared.

The idea that anybody there cares about your religion when it comes to getting selected for a job is hogwash.

Of the one employer that was LDS, none of the employees were, and I can't remember him ever asking anybody. He left and went to work for another employer flying bigger and better, and that employee wasn't LDS. I went to work for the same company, and none of the employees, pilots or management, or office staff, were LDS. Go figure.

I strongly disagree with your assessment of the influence of the LDS church as it pertains to aviation opportunities in and around the Salt Lake City area. First and this important, I am not in anyway being critical of the Mormon faith. To each his own and if it works for them, fine. As it pertains to corporate opportunities in and around Salt Lake Airport I must admit that I had focused on the heavy iron outfits like Sinclair and Jon Huntsman’s operations. I think he has a GIV and GV? There may be any number of Learjet operators, night freight haulers and other smaller outfits that are not populated by members of the LDS church.

I have lived in of flown out of the SLC area since the mid 1960’s. Originally with Western Airlines and in those days the small DC6B/L188 base was predominately LDS with the CP being the grandson of the president of the church and damn near all the Capt.’s and F/O’ being of the same faith. I know or have known, numerous pilots from the Utah ANG and every one of them was LDS without exception in those days. The VP of Flight Operations was LDS and one of the finest people I have had the pleasure knowing. Still kicking and a terrific person in and out of the church.

So the point is? If you are serious about being a part of the aviation/corporate community in SLC or Utah for that matter. Outside of DAL?SkyWest/ASA, then you need to factor this into your career expectations, unless of course you are a Mormon to begin with, then this discussion is moot. Go figure that!

Alright since I live in Utah that me tell you something. The mormon religion will be the minority in the next 10 years. Of course there freaking out about that. If being Mormon is true thats only because there networking. The AF pilots recommend there friends and so do the Navy. They just happen to go to church with them and helping them out. I don't believe Mr Sinclair would treat there pilots like that. I know his good friend so I'm going to make a phone call. The guard unit here has a bad rap so I don't know who would want to fly there. Nuskin is out of Provo and I know nothing about Huntsman. He is a good guy so thats probably pretty safe.

I'm from northern Utah and flew out of SLC for many years. I knew the Sinclair pilots (we shared a hangar with them) and religion certainly wasn't one of their concerns. I have no idea what the department is like now, but for many years there was a high turnover for reasons that have been mentioned. The chief pilot for Huntsman (who is also a leader in the LDS Church) is a non-mormon and when I've talked to him at get togethers like the NBAA IOC, he really doesn't have much good to say about the church. I've got a friend, who I used to fly with in Ohio, who now flys for Huntsman. On occassion they fly LDS leaders around in their Gulfstreams. When that happens they often use non-LDS crews. Don't sound too prejudicial to me.
'Sled

Spooky 1 said:
I Originally with Western Airlines and in those days the small DC6B/L188 base was predominately LDS with the CP being the grandson of the president of the church and dang near all the Capt.’s and F/O’ being of the same faith. I know or have known, numerous pilots from the Utah ANG and every one of them was LDS without exception in those days. The VP of Flight Operations was LDS and one of the finest people I have had the pleasure knowing. Still kicking and a terrific person in and out of the church.
You must be talking about Dewey G. He is one of the finest people I have ever met. He and I have been partners in a couple of gliders.

'Sled

Last edited:
You are correct. Does Nuskin hire the pilots or is everything done by millionair? Isn't Huntsmans plane hangered there also?

For what it's worth, we had two G-III's there, and nobody that flew on them was LDS.

I flew everything from gliders (just remembered...one other employe who was also LDS...but most of his employees weren't) to large aircraft out of there, freight to skydivers to tankers and air attack...and few were LDS...but nobody cared, and nobody asked.

The idea that being a member of the LDS faith in Utah will influence your ability to get hired in that area is an absolute fallacy. I don't care weather it's corporate, freight, airline, military...that locals may be church members is entirely irrelevant to the question of being hired.

To tell the truth, I don't notice any difference in hiring practice in SLC vs. Phoenix, Billings, Reno, Las Vegas, Denver, or other places in the area I've worked. Employers did care how I got on with other employees, how the customers were handled, how the aircraft was handled, and about reliability. I think my own beliefs were far enough from most's minds that they never asked, and didn't care.

As far as the 151st ARG, I believe we have a board member who's in UPT right now on their nickle, do we not? If I'm correct, I don't believe he's LDS either. Perhaps he might provide some better insight into that matter. I've known some of the folks from there...and haven't known any bad ones. I don't believe I ever asked one his religion. I've never heard that they have a bad reputation...that's news to me. I don't know anybody I've ever met who knows the unit or people from the unit who would agree with the comments about a bad reputation. Perhaps you've met one of the few folks out there that don't like the work they do...but if so, it's got to be a minority.

avbug said:
For what it's worth, we had two G-III's there, and nobody that flew on them was LDS.

I flew everything from gliders (just remembered...one other employe who was also LDS...but most of his employees weren't) to large aircraft out of there, freight to skydivers to tankers and air attack...and few were LDS...but nobody cared, and nobody asked.

The idea that being a member of the LDS faith in Utah will influence your ability to get hired in that area is an absolute fallacy. I don't care weather it's corporate, freight, airline, military...that locals may be church members is entirely irrelevant to the question of being hired.

To tell the truth, I don't notice any difference in hiring practice in SLC vs. Phoenix, Billings, Reno, Las Vegas, Denver, or other places in the area I've worked. Employers did care how I got on with other employees, how the customers were handled, how the aircraft was handled, and about reliability. I think my own beliefs were far enough from most's minds that they never asked, and didn't care.

As far as the 151st ARG, I believe we have a board member who's in UPT right now on their nickle, do we not? If I'm correct, I don't believe he's LDS either. Perhaps he might provide some better insight into that matter. I've known some of the folks from there...and haven't known any bad ones. I don't believe I ever asked one his religion. I've never heard that they have a bad reputation...that's news to me. I don't know anybody I've ever met who knows the unit or people from the unit who would agree with the comments about a bad reputation. Perhaps you've met one of the few folks out there that don't like the work they do...but if so, it's got to be a minority.

Did you ever work with a fellow who was the CP for Skaggs/Alpha Beta? As I recall he a several DC4's and maybe a DC6, both of which where doing fire fighting work in the west. He is long since gone from Skaggs.

The one and only guy I know that flys for Huntsman, is a former 89th driver who just happens to be LDS.

I am not going to beat this to death with you so lets just agree that the LDS faith extends beyond the traditional bounds of religon and on into many facets of daily living, both professional and private.

Latest resources

Back