SL6 Passes....-800 Approved by SWAPA pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

The voting has closed on Side Letter 6: 737-800 and the results are in. The side letter passed 75.70 percent in favor, 24.30 percent opposed.

80% of the eligible voters voted.

Lets move on to the next issue. Good news for new hires and future SWA pilots!

We just extended our contract for another year and gave away a 28% productivity increase to the company in exchange for the possibility of a 1% raise and a bunch of maybes about growth. Forgive me if I curb my enthusiasm. :mad:

Stop,

The 28% increase in productivity "has the potential" to get higher revenues, higher profits, to reach the targets needed to add airplanes and get more FOs to the right seat.

No guarantees but I'm happy to trade a day on the calendar (no guarantees a new contract would be signed by then nor tangible growth occurring merely because the amendable date remains the same, wouldn't you agree?) for "the possibility" of growth....I'm optimistic this is a better plan than doing nothing other than acquiring AAI for our "growth pill".

Both pills together will have greater potential and generate far more than a measly 1, 2 or 3% pay raise for them and will remarkably improve the quality of life for hundreds of pilots who will get back to their base of choice, have better chances of getting OT flying or simply wish to have a better QOL which is many times more important than $$.

Time will tell which argument proves to be true, for now it is behind us and embracing the results (which can't be changed) is one way to deal with it.

Nothing you said was untrue because it is opinion, the same can be said of my statements also.

My question would be, which do you hope for and what can we all do to improve the chances of having the most positive outcome occur?

Respectfully submitted,

Last edited:
Yeah that "choking the goose" strategy has worked so well in the past. How many raises have you got in the last few years?

So the highest paid narrow body pilots in the industry still have some doosh bags that will never be happy. Some of these guys need to go work for American or United - see how the other half lives.

So the highest paid narrow body pilots in the industry still have some doosh bags that will never be happy. Some of these guys need to go work for American or United - see how the other half lives.

Amen brother. I'll even help them fill out the app!

I don't like the ETOPS subset language but I do like the 3.61:1 ratio. I might even get to see Hawaii during my career. Haha!!!

Not a math wiz, sorry.

1999 pay rates for 12 yr CA

$117.32 per Trip (TFP rate, not hourly...multiply by 1.13 approximately)

2010 pay rates for 12 yr CA

$186.06 per trip

Hard rate of 2% already negotiated for '11 with the possibility of another 1% if profit targets are met.

0-3% profitability raises for '12 as a result of the approved SL

Most recent pay raise was Sept '10 when a 3% pay raise was justiifed because of 10% profit target was reached.

2009 was no pay raise

2008 and 2007 there were negotiated hard pay rate increases due to the new CBA.

If in error, my apologies....others wiser with more facts, please correct.

I don't like the ETOPS subset language

None of the current AAI overwater stuff requires ETOPS. ETOPS requires training AND CURRENCY.

Hawaii is the obvious reason for ETOPS, and the furthest east that will work is PHX.

Are you saying that with just a handful of airplanes based in the west, that every pilot will have to train on ETOPS and maintain ETOPS currency including ETOPS specific line checks? The logistics would be a nightmare, not to mention it would be a huge pain in the butski to the pilots. The fastest way to get huge growth out of ETOPS is to make it efficient enough to justify expansion. Making the company have to train and keep every pilot current is the exact opposite to promoting growth.

Nothing will prevent anyone from bidding where the ETOPS flying goes but to make everyone have to maintain ETOPS currency would be just plane stupid.

None of the current AAI overwater stuff requires ETOPS. ETOPS requires training AND CURRENCY.

Hawaii is the obvious reason for ETOPS, and the furthest east that will work is PHX.

Are you saying that with just a handful of airplanes based in the west, that every pilot will have to train on ETOPS and maintain ETOPS currency including ETOPS specific line checks? The logistics would be a nightmare, not to mention it would be a huge pain in the butski to the pilots. The fastest way to get huge growth out of ETOPS is to make it efficient enough to justify expansion. Making the company have to train and keep every pilot current is the exact opposite to promoting growth.

Nothing will prevent anyone from bidding where the ETOPS flying goes but to make everyone have to maintain ETOPS currency would be just plane stupid.

Couple of thoughts on ETOPS:

1) The -800 will not make PHX to the islands with anything close to a full load. Maybe an ETOPS -700 but not an -800, it barely makes it some days from SFO/OAK.

2) ETOPS currency ?? Explain that one please, been ETOPS qualified for years and never heard of that one.

3) ETOPS specific line check?? Perhaps an initial check but that would be it. SWA could train everyone but check out only OAK or ?? crews to do the ETOPS flying to the islands thus saving all the hassle of training everyone.

4) There is no magic to ETOPS flying, the hard part will be getting Fed approval for Maint, Dispatch, & Flt Ops training & operational procedures.

Ops Spec B344 OpSpecs B344 If an operator does not use its ETOPS authority for a period of 6 months, the FAA may rescind the authority to operate in that area.

Latest resources

Back