• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lol, that about made my day. That's probably some of the funniest sh*t I've heard all day.

Anyway, I was wondering about the test they give yout he first day of ground school. Is it like in the pre-study packet where there is one test w/ blanks for the data applicable to the CRJ 200 and the data for the CRJ 700/900 is filled in? Then the other test has data for the CRJ 200 and blanks for the 700/900? Do they test you on all three aircraft the first day?

Thanks for the info

I agree.. That was great! Made my day as well. Its funny because its true. I have a couple friends at Skywest and have nothing but good things to say.

Anyway, I was wondering about the test they give yout he first day of ground school. Is it like in the pre-study packet where there is one test w/ blanks for the data applicable to the CRJ 200 and the data for the CRJ 700/900 is filled in? Then the other test has data for the CRJ 200 and blanks for the 700/900? Do they test you on all three aircraft the first day?

You won't be given the CRJ tests until the first day of systems. You have a week and a half of basic indoc to get through first.

You won't be given the CRJ tests until the first day of systems. You have a week and a half of basic indoc to get through first.
Correct. And it will be on the 200 only, not 700/900. You will go through all the 7/9 difference after 200 systems.

Man, I love that single F/O payscale at RAH. Same pay for an E-135 F/O and an E-175 F/O. Better look in the mirror.

How about $19/hour and no union for starters? Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

You have to look at the big picture when it comes to pay my friend. Most people dont go to regionals to work forever or never to upgrade so if you look at it as a function of total pay and career advancement......

Pay rates from airlinepilotcentral.com

Comapare AWAC (high paid right?) to SkyWest (low paid)

Assuming a newhire would upgrade at 24 months at SkyWest and 36 months at AWAC. We all know SkyWest upgrade is lower than that and falling and honestly AWAC upgrade is never at its current rate but to be optimistic and fair:

Total cumulative pay after year 1 (1000 credit no perdiem, SkyWest perdiem is higher than AWAC though) both figured using CR2 numbers.

AWAC = 24000
SkyWest = 19000

After 2nd year (1st + 2nd year)

AWAC = 59000
Skywest = 54000

after 3rd year (upgraded at SkyWest now, not at AWAC)

AWAC = 96000
SkyWest = 114000

After 4th year (both captains now)

AWAC = 159000
SkyWest = 167000

As a former AWAC pilot and a current SkyWest pilot I can tell you from my personal experience it would be much easier to make even more money at SkyWest if you wanted to work overtime. The company is always advertising 1.5X pay over time and voluntary reserve for those wishing to make the extra dollars. I will also point out when I was an AWAC line holder I nearly always had min days off for the month. As a SkyWest line holder I have never had less than 14 days off and my best has been 16 off straight PBS award. So even though AWAC has a better min days off policy in practice I end up with more now.

So in 4 years a new hire has made more money at the low paid regional and earned more PIC on his way to wherever he/she wants to go next. As far as union is concerned, it will come to vote. If the people of SkyWest feel there is a need for ALPA on property then ALPA will be on property. <--- see that, its a period! if you dont work at SkyWest quit debating if its best for those who do work there.

This post was not intended to bash AWAC. I am just showing a simple pay comparison of a so called good regional to a so called bad regional, that I have happened to work at both.

Last edited:
Very nice reply AWACO. That is exactly what people need to do is to look at the big picture. If people want to base their entire career of just looking at the first year then they will probably screw themselves.

Very nice reply AWACO. That is exactly what people need to do is to look at the big picture. If people want to base their entire career of just looking at the first year then they will probably screw themselves.

Speaking of looking at the big picture, you need to also consider work rules, duty and trip rigs, vacation, min days off, reimbursement for uniform, headset,401K, insurance, and parking among many other things!!! The point is money is'nt everything!

Correct. And it will be on the 200 only, not 700/900. You will go through all the 7/9 difference after 200 systems.

thank you.

BTW, if you are referring to Republic, I already looked at them and didn't like any of their bases. $19/hour, well could be better but its still a step up from what I was making at my last job.

Again, thanks for the input

Speaking of looking at the big picture, you need to also consider work rules, duty and trip rigs, vacation, min days off, reimbursement for uniform, headset,401K, insurance, and parking among many other things!!! The point is money is'nt everything!

don't know were your at where these are so good........but, i would argue that skywest has better work rules than most regionals. 100% deadhead pay, 3.75 daily min, good duty rigs that make stand-ups and long days bueno (asa?), my uniform allowance is enough, 1.5x pay for anything inside 10 days, free parking, 100% free flights on delta and skyw for the fam, vacation that is concrete if you bid on the yearly list, great bases, great crews, just got a stock grant and my stock purchase plan should be good for june. oh, and the 50K i made second year sure made up for the first (that still pisses me off though)

not saying that there isn"t room for improvement.....just saying that you should be man enough to say where you have it soooo goooood. where do you work?

welcome aboard 01WJ.......you enjoy it here. all the guys i've worked with who have come from mesa, asa, republic, regions, awac, etc. enjoy the place. good luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back