Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Col.Hogan

Hey,
Just curious to know what kind of schedule Skywest EMB pilots are doing out of IAH? (Home every night or 2-3-4 days on) Thanks HOG

Looks like next month there's a mix of locals, 4 day trips, and back to back 2 days. Several lines of stand-ups as well. Total of 28 hard lines. However, I'm based in SLC on the RJ and don't know if this is the norm.

Bases . . .

What, currently, are the junior FO bases at Skywest? And how long, after initial assignment, might a new hire expect to get a bid for SLC?

The most junior base on the EMB is IAH. I heard of a couple of FOs previously in IAH that recently got SLC and they'd been with the company for just 3-4 months. Otherwise I'm not sure. Some other more junior domiciles are Fresno and Denver I think. The rest of the California domiciles seem to go more senior: Palm Springs, San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterrey, and Sacramento. Portland is also very senior. Andy Neil is the best one to ask since he keeps up on domicile seniority for newhires pretty well. You can PM him if you like.

Question!

:confused: Can someone smarter than me please explain how Skywest can have so many pilot bases and Comair, with more airplanes and a bigger pilot group, has only one (i.e. CVG)? Santa Barbara, a Skywest pilot base? That would be like CMR having a pilot base in Toledo, OH. What gives? :eek:

If there are at least four aiplanes overnighting there, then it usually becomes a base, or if it is a mx base. DFW notwithstanding. the company saves on hotel costs, probably $100/room/night for the coastal bases, and people who live near there don't have to commute to a big hub. Four aiplanes, three crews per, that's roughly $1,200 a night savings, sounds pretty smarttttt to me.

having said that...looks like ord will become a base very soon.

comparing Toledo to SBA??? you's gots ta be kiddin' me, right??? btw, sba is both an rj and emb base, and very senior on the rj side.

mookie:cool:

A good rule of thumb is that the more expensive a place is to live, the more junior it goes. Guys making $19.02/hr have to survive. The only exception to that rule is if the base is easily commutable. I recall that MRY consistantly went junior, whereas DEN went more senior (among new hires). SBA is fairly junior as well. Seems that PDX and SLC are the most senior for the EMB new hires. It would probably take a couple of years to get into PDX, and six months or so for SLC. Of course, everything depends on RJ transitions.

CRJPilot,

Thanks for the info!!

And, by the way, great photo in the avitar! They're what make it all worthwhile, eh?

Latest resources

Back