Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Col.Hogan

Howdy All,
I just got some good news. Skywest called and wants to interview me!!! After I picked myself up off the ground, I started to get going on the studying.
I saw that people recommended the ARCO testbook. Does anyone know if this is like the AirForce's AFOQT book with the mechanical questions?
Does anyone know if there is a ATC 810 sim in the northern east coast?
Also, I got this payscale for the emb of the Skywest page...is this current?
6/28/2002

1 YR $19.02
2 YR $27.42
3 YR $28.25
4 YR $29.09
5 YR $29.97
6 YR $30.57
7 YR $31.18

Thanks for any info and any advices anyone has...regards, Hogan

Congrats on the interview!!!
Yes, the AFOQT study book is similar to the mechanical test, also consider Air Inc's book Questions, questions.
The payscale that you posted is for the EMB FO position only. You can find all of the pay rates for various postions at Skywestpilot.com. Right now, looking at the EMB upgrade list for February, FO's with a seniority at about 1 year are getting to upgrade.

Good luck

SKYW

Thanks for the info! Is it true that most new hires are getting the EMB 120. Also, do you know where the new hire bases might be?
Thanks again, Hogan

there is an atc 810 sim right on the airport at SLC. the info is on the skywest web site. i would make an appointment today, it fills up fast. i suggest a least two sim flights, unless you have flown a sim before. if you dont already know this. know EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING about icing. good luck!

how it works

I would also add to know everything about your airplane, including how everything works when you flip a switch.

Lately the new hire awards have been all over the place. Jet one class and then not for a while. Tucson and Denver seem to be going pretty junior if you get the jet, with Fresno getting more junior. The EMB awards are all over, with Fresno being the junior base. On a good note, talked with a EMB new hire the other day that said he was able to hold a line in FAT even though he had not finished IOE yet. Go figure. You've probably heard this already, but take the EMB if given the choice - you hold a line and make more money the first year, not to mention probably upgrade in about a year. Mr. Andy Neill knows more about the placement of new hires.

As far as the sim goes:

-They really want to see airspeed contol on the ILS - they tell you the speed they want and what power gives you that speed, so do it.
-Dont forget to involve the instructor as a FO - even thought they tell you he has no arms or legs to do anything. Ie. timing for holds, etc.
-Double check everything with the FO, if you do something wrong it is not the end of the world if you catch it before you do it - landing without clearance, directionof hold/entry of hold....

Interview:
I agree with the other two - know everything about the aircraft and type of flying you are currently involved in. Know how your deicing works, how the gear goes up and down, all hydraulic systems(including the prop hub). It seems like a lot, but if you have been preparing for the interview prior to sending in the application it will be easy. Know METAR/TAF's, approach plates, MEA/MOCA, what the red dotted dashed line around the LAX airport is on the area chart. The interviewers will know if you have been preparing for the interview, if you a sharp on this stuff, they wont waste their time grilling you. Most important, if you start to struggle they might ask more questions to SEE HOW YOU PERFORM UNDER STRESS. Take a deep breath and relax.

Good luck!!!

SKYWEST SIM

Does anyone of you know if the ATC 810 is pretty much like the ATC 820? it's pretty hard to fly with one engine inop isn't it? especially before you feathered it!

I've also applied numerous times on the web site but haven't heard anything yet. Did you guys have someone walking in for you? Any 121 experience required?

Thanks and Happy flying!
:cool:

HOW?

I am also curious how you got the call. Did you meet someone and have them walk in your resume? The web site doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

Thanks

ATC 810

I have no clue how an 820 flies.. the 810 doesnt have visuals, doesnt need rudder in the air and pretty much holds heading.. a bit pitch sensitive.. but once you have it set up it will fly with very little correction.. the settings skywest asks for in the climb make for a really high climb rate.. >2000fpm.. a little more than you really get in a chieftain with more than 5 gallons of fuel onboard
As for engine outs and etc.. don't worry about it.. the quote from the captain who does the sim tests.. "all system failures in the sim will be pilot induced.. we wont fail an engine.. dont bother to scan the eng. instruments" etc.. they want to see that you can fly the 6pack, nav needles and power guages. Expect your knowledge of weather and IFR flight to be tested again in the sim.
Good luck.. study hard so you can relax and be yourself in the interview.
Philip

Newhire Domiciles

As regards the placement of EMB newhires:

Latest class: 19 of 29 went to FAT, 6 to PSP, 2 to SAN, and one each to SBP, SBA and MRY.

Monterey went to the most junior guy (too expensive to live and all day trips so no commuting and no per-diem). Looks like its gonna be a big party in Fresno...

Latest resources

Back